Replacing PC with new PC and Windows 7 to Windows 10 Options?

raven1970

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I think I already know the answer here, but would appreciate some guidance.

Son's PC is Windows 7 running an licensed OEM copy of Windows 7 (yeah, you probably know where I am going with this). I am building him a new PC for his birthday as a surprise.

Is it correct that regardless of his old PC, I can still download Windows 10 onto a USB, install on the new computer? The question then becomes one of activation. Is it possible to use that Windows 7 OEM key to activate the new PC (assuming I deactivate or whatever the old system)? This way I could give him the new computer and take advantage of free Windows 7 upgrade?

If not, is it still true though about installing off USB, and at that point I just need a Windows 10 key either provided off a new purchased disc version of Windows 10, USB version, download version, whatever? Meaning, it doesn't matter how I install Windows 10, just need a valid key to activate, correct?

Like I said, the old computer, an old APU based system that barely runs Windows 7 isn't going to be upgraded to Windows 10 and plan is to tear it down. TIA for any guidance.

Solution

Yup. download version would be the cheapest, then dvd, then usb.

raven1970

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Thanks. I just wanted confirmation. I see from google that I can just go out to Microsoft and download and setup a USB. I haven't read through everything yet, but assume I can do this from any PC to setup the Windows 10 USB. Then I just need to purchase however whether just a key, DVD, or USB. . .whatever version is cheapest, to activate, correct?

rgd1101

Don't

Yup. download version would be the cheapest, then dvd, then usb.

Solution