Tura

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
First read this bit about soon to be released ASUS Displays:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-rog-swift-pg279q-pricing-and-specs.html

And perhaps, TN v. IPS v. VA (PVA & MVA) panels:
http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/

(thanks for reading that)

My question is simply this -- is there ANY way to decide what to buy between the displays in this space and when?
All of these displays, as well as the current ASUS PG278Q, have SO much in common, including their QC issues, it's like splitting hairs!!!

Gone are the days when the TN vs. IPS is the conversation (PG278Q v XB270HU) Even then, without benefit of SEEING what each actually LOOKS LIKE, side by side, who can choose!?

3D, if it matters (not to me).
3ms difference, if it matters (I am MMO so, NOT!)
...And now 144Hz vs 165Hz!?!? Did we decide 144 was attainable, yet?

Oddly, the best thing I can see in the PG279Q is an HDMI port, just so I can extend the value beyond my PC.

I am an MMO gamer with a 980 card, myself. I have no monitor, at this time. I have just purchased a used i5-4790K system.

Regarding display, I want to use the system now, but I can wait if there is a reason. I understand 4k produces unreadable text -- no thanks.
2k appears to be my landing strip, but oh may, can anyone distinguish Acer from ASUS for me?

What about the 34" models, is that space what I should be looking at?

Why, why, why is all I hear QUALITY SUCKS!
I don't know about you, but I do NOT have $700 to flush away!

My head hurts... did someone say black Monday?

(Thanks for any direction you can offer!)

Tura

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Thinking about this a little further (after I thought I had already done plenty of further...), for MMO on a GTX 980 G-Sync card, I believe a 34", 100Mhz display could yield greatest pleasure.

As the 34" is described as a 2K -- 27" monitor experience, only 8" wider, can I expect the chat text and tool bars will present the same as a 2K 27" display?

The answer seems quite obvious, but I would like to check, anyway.
$1,100 is a lot of cash -- probably too much, to be honest, though two monitors would be more!

1.1k is way too much for a monitor. Most displays including TV's have issues with PQ that doesn't stay consistent, because most if not all brands are outsourcing. They don't even have to tell the customers about it, even if the panel doesn't even meet their own quality standard. As for a monitor, forget about IPS and get VA. Going from a low end IPS, to a mid end IPS isn't going to be worth the difference. Buy the FG2421 for instance, or a VA TV. Contrast is going to make things more enjoyable, don't get ´stuck with the hype surrounding these new panels, there is really no point to be honest.

Tura

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

Good thoughts Suzuki. Any recommendations for a 27" with G-Sync and what of a 34".

How far back from a 34" display does one have to sit for it to work, anyway?

Tura

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Well, as I stated I already, I have the GTX 980. I understand you are not a "fan" of G-Sync, I guess because it strikes you as a conspiracy, but having the card, I intend to use the tech.

Let's leave the G-sync debate for another thread though, eh? :)
I just have it, so I intend to use it.

I suppose it MIGHT matter what I will use the display for... which is mostly MMO gaming with SOME FPShooter gaming and possible movie streaming.

I always want good resale value!

I wonder about the wider the screen, the more important the refresh rate to keep an ultra high detail view of an MMO 34" landscape smooth!

So, any ideas for a 27" - 34" VA display with G-Sync?
(Given my use statement, is VA still the right choice)