Upgrading HDD + SSD Looking for help and suggestions!

Paulisus

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
Hi guys, so I'm relatively new to the whole PC building process, and a few years ago I built my own budget Gaming rig, and so far it's held up pretty well. So here's my question...
I don't own a SSD yet and as all my friends & colleagues have strongly suggested I get one I thought I should look into buying one..

My Current Build consists of:
Motherboard Model: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 (6 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue (No SATA III))
Processor Name: AMD FX-8320
RAM : 8Gb's DDR3 (2x4Gb's 800.0 MHz (DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800))
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Drive Model & Controller : SAMSUNG HD103SI & Serial ATA 3Gb/s

Extra HWinfo : http://postimg.org/image/a21o960bx/

So I have a 1TB which I believe is Sata II currently, which is fairly old and simply not enough space, now I know SSD's generally don't have alot of space, but that's why I want to buy a 3TB HDD as well as a new SSD primarily for the OS boot speed and Maybe 1 or 2 games loading speeds, and have everything else shared between the 1 and the 3 HDD's. Is this a viable and sensible option?
And if so, what sizeable HDD's and Decent SSD's but not excessive priced's ones would you suggest to fit these roles in my current rig.

Bearing in mind I'm aware my motherboard is only SATA 2 and not 3. I hear most Sata 3's are backwards compatible for Sata 2 anyway, and at some point I would like to upgrade my motherboard to one with SATA 3 so I am also open to suggestions of that variety.

If you have any other suggestions for improvements on anything, like for example if im being bottle necked by something terrible which could certainly use an upgrade , please let me know, whether it be RAM, Processor, Motherboard, Graphics cards or My original ask, don't hesitate to let me know, all advice is welcomed! :D
And Thanks for your time!
(Discussion and solutions welcomed)

PS. I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 (which I will put on the SSD Ideally) Thoughts on that front too? Good idea? Bad Idea? Thanks!

Hi Paulisus,

1) Yes, having a SSD as your boot drive and a larger HDD for storage and media is perfectly fine and is a common setup today.

Recommendation on SSD and HDD:

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.85 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.20 @ SuperBiiz)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-01 10:06 EST-0500

*If you can afford it I highly recommend gettting the 250GB SSD listed above instead of the 120GB drive. 250GB will give you enough room for your OS + 1 or 2 games without having to constantly worry about running out of room.

3) SATA is backwards compatible, so you don't need to worry about these drives working on your SATA 2 Motherboard.

4) I would personally wait on Windows 10 for a few more months. If you look at the last few pages of the Tom's Window's forum you'll see quite a lot of people still running into trouble with the upgrade. Unless there is a specific reason why you NEED to upgrade I recommend waiting a little bit longer (you have until July 2016 to use the free upgrade).

Paulisus

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

Hi Glamdringfh, thanks for your reply and all the information you've given me!
This will be a great help with deciding what I'm going to do.
1.) I'm definitely going to look into the products you've suggested and I am willing to spend a little more as you suggested for the 250Gb SSD seems like it would be worth it.

*Before this answer I was looking into the HyperX Fury 240Gb but after a quick benchmark test (click to see it) the one you suggested seems far superior, so thanks for preventing that mistake!

3.) Good to know that I was right about the compatibility, so now I know if I ever upgrade to a motherboard with Sata III these will still function! :)

4.) Thanks for the advice about windows 10, i've looked at the forum and I think you're right, it's probably best I wait for now, and like you said unless I am in a rush to upgrade, which I am not.. It's better I wait!

Thanks again for the help, it's much appriciated!
If anyone else has any suggestions or anything they'd like to add, please do I'll still be watching the thread! :)