Transferring Windows 10 to a new mobo and CPU

killerhornet25

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
From what I have gathered through some moderate research, if I am to buy a new motherboard and CPU that are from entirely different manufacturers (I'm shifting from AMD to Intel), I would have to reinstall windows.

I was wondering if I would be able to use my copy of windows I still have for my new mobo, or if I would need to purchase a whole new copy.

If I can still reuse it, I still have my case of Windows 7, which has the retail key. However, I do not have my x64 disc since I lost it in a move recently. How would I go about reinstalling it?

Thanks!

jwilli

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
I've read all the back & forth about OEM's can & cannot install upgrade to win 10 - BUT this was my experience as of October 31, 2015 with my existing OEM /SP-1 windows 7 and a NEW mobo & cpu upgrade.
I Previously had a system for several years with windows 7 "OEM" / SP-1 and I had upgraded to a free WINDOWS 10 about 45 days ago and I was worried about getting a new "valid" win 7 activation with the NEW mobo and cpu.
I have my win 7 OEM license key and DVD and this is how things went:

1) I installed the OLD win 7 OEM on the NEW mobo.
2) After installing and then REGISTERING win 7, a message said my win 7 was "expired" and it gave a message and phone# to CALL for validation of my OEM Win 7.
3) I called the # and got VOICE prompts that asked if i wanted to use my SMART PHONE or talk to a rep so I chose my PHONE and I immediately received a text message with step by step instructions.
4) I carefully followed ALL the instructions and was activated upon completion.
The whole process took 10 minutes.
5) I rebooted a few times and AFTER win 7 did 162 updates, I did a FRESH win 10 install.
In summary, YES you can activate a NEW mobo if you have a valid OEM /SP-1 version of windows 7 even AFTER having installed windows 10 beyond 30 days.

FIRST try getting the ISO from windows as stated in a prior post and I presume you'll be able to proceed with the 5 steps above.