Good 55" 4K TV for both Gaming and General use?

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hello,

I'm looking into getting a 55" TV for my room to use with my PC and PS4, as well as to watch Freeview TV. With Black Friday around the corner, I wanted to get an idea of some potential buys in case one has a good deal with it. I'm pretty sure I want a 4K, they seem to be becoming more mainstream and prices for them are becoming more and more reasonable! I'm looking for something in the <£1000 ballpark, picture quality is very important as of course low input lag is also.

Cheers,

Harry

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Thanks for the answer! That TV looks amazing, hopefully there will be a good offer on it to bring the price down a bit. Are there any other TVs that you know of that are also good, perhaps any flat screens?

RababNoor

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

Do you have the sufficient PC for your 4K gaming??? Your GPU model? and how many?
http://www.cnet.com/news/should-you-get-a-4k-tv-for-gaming/

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR55X810C-55-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B0148OZLOS

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Yea, this is one of the things. I have a 780ti at the moment, not going to upgrade it till Pascal comes out next year. This is why I'm considering whether getting a 4k tv is worth it. On one hand its cheaper to get a full hd tv, and It will be more useful here and now, or maybe a 4k where it will be better in the long run. Additionally, I'm considering leaving buying a TV until CES 2016 has come and gone, to see what the next lot of tvs will be like, what is your opinion on this?

spagalicious

Distinguished

Well, unfortunately you won't have any way of driving 4K @ 60Hz as the 780Ti only has HDMI 1.4 outputs. To maintain a 3840x2160 signal at 60Hz, you will need a card with HDMI 2.0. Sadly, only the GTX 950, 960, 970, 980, and 980 Ti have HDMI 2.0 on-board. DisplayPort is an option but very few TVs have a DisplayPort input.

I'd say save yourself some cash and buy a nice 1080p TV or buy the 4K TV and just use your PC at 1080p. Or use PC at 1440p on the TV? Not sure if you can do that.

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Yes, I did think that would be likely after looking into it a bit, however this isn't an issue, I will use the TV at full HD for now and upgrade my graphics card sometime next year to take advantage of it. The tv is going to be on my wall in my room, so I'm worried that getting a 1080p TV now when 4k is taking off nicely, will just result in me buying another one in a years time which is not ideal.

spagalicious

Distinguished

Sounds like a cool idea. Just make sure the panel you buy has a couple HDMI 2.0 ins. I was actually in the same boat as you, was thinking about getting a 4K TV 2 months ago. Ended up finding a brand new 2015 65" Vizio with adaptive backlighting on craigslist for $600. Pretty great deal, even if it is 1080. That is why I brought up possibly considering a 1080p TV. Then just use DSR to downsample from 2K or 4K. Looks very good, especially on a large screen where aliasing is pretty noticeable.

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Yea that is a deal thats hard to ignore! I would consider a HD TV, but we already have HD TVs, Id rather save up a bit more and get a nice 4K one if you know what I mean. Ive just got to find one now!