Will I be able to run my build on my TV instead of a monitor?

SnackboxAdam

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
So I have been a PS3 user for a while now and I decided to switch to PC. My budget is around £560 mark and as people from the UK know, the part prices are a lot higher to what they are in other countries. My build is the following:
-i7 4790k 4.0 GHZ
-EVGA GTX 960 4GB SSC ATX2.0+
-8 GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM
-Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

My question is will I be able to use this build on my Full HD Hitachi TV instead of an actual monitor? If the answer is yes, this will enable me to skip buying a monitor and use the money to upgrade some other parts.

Solution
Use mine on a 60inch sharp led for gaming.

Absolutely can't fault it - I find it very hard to go back to a 24 inch monitor now.

As someone somewhere said - drop to an i5 & squeeze a 970 in there if you can.
you can use a tv but the only problem may be response time. you may see a good amount of delay between when you move your mouse and when it actually moves on the screen. tv's dont have their delay time specified, which is generally very high since delay doesnt effect tv viewing. wont hurt to try the tv first though. you may have one that isnt bad at all.

SnackboxAdam

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Thank you guys for the quick response. A lot of people are telling me to drop to an i5 but I want a "future proof" build for at least 3 years. I have seen bench marks that compare the i7 4790k to the i5 6600k and the i7 wins by just a little bit. Not to mention the hyperthreading is starting to get popular among game now [read that somewhere]. Even if I do decide to drop down to i5 and get a GTX 970, the total price will be a £100 over my budget. My TV has a Game Mode, do you think this would possibly help if I get input lag?

You'll be more 'future proof' with an i5+970 than you will with a i7+ 960 IMO

& yes always use game mode - it switches off picture processing & reduces input lag.

Coming from a console running on the same TV you'll be fine - you're worrying too much.

SnackboxAdam

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Worrying too much is what every college student with a tight budget excels at. :p
What I meant by future proof is that I can always upgrade my graphics card in a year time to a 970 that way I'd have the best of both worlds [i7 and 970]. Another reason that is making me tilt towards the i7 is that I use a lot of Music production softwares [Music Technology student] and so the i7 would work well for both Music production and gaming.

SnackboxAdam

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

An SSD and a 212 Evo CPU fan will be the first things I'll buy once the build is done. I'm looking into doing slight overclocking so a locked cpu won't do me any good.

You'd be waiting a year to get the exact same performance you get now (excluding the new generation of GPUs that probably would have arrived), and have an extra 960 lying around.

Wait an extra year or two, and get whatever the 970 equivalent then is.

I doubt music uses a great deal of CPU power. Video, yes.

For gaming, there's still negligible reason to upgrade from a 2nd gen i5. CPUs aren't moving in anything but power right now.

SnackboxAdam

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

That's what I was thinking. in 2 years time, I will probably have enough money to get a "high end-ish" GPU that would be the equivalent of the current 970.

Music programs do require CPU power and high RAM. The more channels you insert, the higher power and RAM is needed.