Experiences, deals with Microcenter

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
There are several Microcenters within an hour of me. Looking to save some cash by going there to pick them up. Looking to get most of my parts there since I'll save with most of the parts especially the CPU and mobo.

How are they with returns, customer service (questions, issues), stock of parts, discount on parts if you show them better deals elsewhere, discount on total purchase if you're buying alot of parts.

while experiences may vary from store to store i can say that i've always had good experiences dealing with them.

as is typical with retail, not everything may be the lowest price that you will find compared with online. they do pricematch online retailers but only for sale price + shipping total cost which is fair. this does not include after mail-in-rebate prices as they cannot match those as its a special deal given to vendors from the manufacturer. their prices on cpus are generally the lowest around and they have fair deals on bundles. for everything else prices are generally average although there are always some nice deals to be had.

you can likely save more by buying some parts online and some parts locally however its really convenient to buy everything from one store.

just like other retail, there is no discount for buying everything from them other than any advertised deals or bundles.

stock of parts is generally good, although this depends on the store, demand and general availability. i've heard of a few stores where it was an issue but i've never seen it at mine.

i've never had to make a return, although my store's customer service has always been fine.

as for knowledgeable employees, it depends on the person. some really know their stuff while others not so much. the place does attract the geeky type though so more often then not they at least have half a clue.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Sounds good, the only part that has a major price difference is a 512 GB 850 Pro that I found $40 cheaper elsewhere. Everything else is either cheaper, not in their stores or is tad more expensive. Since I live in the wonderfully expensive state of New York the tax is $150. Could upgrade to a 980 or a 390x with that money.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Changed the store to closer store but it doesnt have the mobo I want. Would end up saving $70 in taxes but I would have to make 2 trips. Gonna have to leave early and its gonna suck but it should be worth it.

if you purchase online and they ship from the same state as you - you pay tax anyways so its a lose-lose situation when dealing with many of the big e-tailers as well. nobody likes paying tax.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Yup thats why I have to spend half a day traveling the tri state area getting everything. If I ever have a problem with a part do I return it to that store or can I bring it to any Microcenter?

KingDingDong

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
I have never seen a major retailer object returning an item to a different location. Make some time to play with the drones while you are there.