Upgrading to 980 Ti

mEduzaLTu

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
So I decided that I need to upgrade my GPU this winter, and decided to go for the 980 Ti, but I have some questions as I'm no expert in builds.

My current specs:
CPU: i7 4770
GPU: 780 Ti
RAM: 16GB
PSU: 750W
Res: 2560x1440

First of all, should I be looking forward to the upcoming sales or not, because I heard GPU prices don't really change even during winter sales.

Do I need a better PSU or will 750W be enough?

Which specific 980 Ti would you recommend? I'm currently looking at the Gigabyte Windforce 3X.

How is GPU changing done, I simply remove my current GPU, stick the 980 Ti in, boot up my pc install new drivers thats all? Or do I need to reinstall windows, or uninstall my previous drivers first etc.? I've never changed a GPU before.

What model and brand of power supply do you have? A good quality 750 watt will be enough.

Going from nVidia to another nVidia card you should be able to just remove old one and insert new one.

You may want to think about not upgrading at all yet, the 780 Ti is a very fast card, it's ranked 5th overall on the PassMark site, with the 980 being 4 and the 980 Ti being #1. I don't think it's worth the money at all going from a 5th ranked card to a 1st. 50th to 1st or 50th to 10th, yea maybe. 5th to 1st, I'd wait for a while. 780Ti will not be lacking in power for several years.

mEduzaLTu

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for a reply. I'm not sure about the PSU model, but I know for a fact the brand is Corsair, most likely CX750M. I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading if I was gaming on 1080p, but in 1440p, newest games maxed out are pretty hard to get 60 fps on, and because in this point of time I can financially allow myself to buy a 980 Ti I decided to upgrade this winter. Still don't know which specific 980 Ti to get though.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
I would wait till the new pascal cards come out to see how they preform. And, if they are too expensive then you might be able to get a 980ti for much cheaper.

Corsair is a bit of a question about quality, they tend to have issues, but sell well because of the name and price. Should still run a 980 Ti, it's not a really bad PSU, just under the top models. Probably would be in the tier 2.5 range where 3 is still a decent PSU just with cheaper components and 2 is a quality unit but not using top of the line parts.