triple monitor setup - 1 screen keeps failing to detect, but works fine in dual display :( HELP!

Apoca1ypse

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I'm having issues with my screens. I'm using 3 ASUS PB287Q monitors. Lets call them A, B and C.

Any dual screen combination of A, B and C works fine. Once I plug in a 3rd screen to run all of them, screen C says it cannot detect a signal, and goes black. when I open up screen resolution settings in windows 7, it has a blacked out screen for C. When I select to disconnect either A or B within the display settings, screen C will still say it cant detect anything. This happens regardless of which set of cables I use/swap around. It's always screen C going black in a triple monitor setup. As soon as I go to a dual screen, it works again.

I'm really confused as to why this may be happening. in case it's relevant, my graphics card is a radeon 295x5. I was also able to run 3 screens fine before (I was a TV and 2 generic monitors)

Solution
G
Have you tried reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows with only the latest Catalyst drivers and nothing else on the machine?
G

Have you tried reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows with only the latest Catalyst drivers and nothing else on the machine?

Solution

Apoca1ypse

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
no I haven't. I'd rather avoid a reinstall if possible.

Come to think of it, I ran dual screen for a bit, and there may have been a catalyst driver update in that time.

I dont know why it would cause the same screen to constantly be blank only when I go to a triple setup. It still detects the model number, even though it says screen disabled. hmm.

G

Sounds like hardware limitation...or possibly driver issue...that's why I recommend the clean install...

Unplug all unnecessary hardware and peripherals temporarily...just to troubleshoot the problem correctly...