How can I repair a corrupted file that sfc/scannow could not ?

hotwheelzz

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
My laptop got infected, got all the malware I think. but it corrupted some system files ran sfc/scannow, the scan says cannot repair all files. I found the corrupted file in the CBS file that says cannot reapair, but don't know what to do to fix it. the problem I am having is the title bar on chrome browser is flickering and saying it is unresponsive. I can still use the laptop but it is quite inconvenient. I'm running windows 10

Hello hotwheelzz

If it is only Google Chrome that is causing trouble, I was wondering if you have already tried uninstalling and then re-installing it on your computer?

Another option could be Restoring Windows 10 to an Earlier Restore Point, i.e. the time when you believe the PC worked fine.

You may also want to try Resetting Windows 10 to Factory Defaults with or without removing your personal files.

Let me know which solution worked for you.

Good Luck!!

hotwheelzz

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
it happens on all browsers, after a reset or refresh says all apps and pre-installed apps "ASUS bloatware" will be removed. Will my laptop function normal without all the pre-installed apps? concerned with being able to connect to the web to update drivers and ect.

thank you very much for your help
Michael

PS i am currently in a IT Essentials class and we are in the security chapter, talk about Irony lol

Hello again hotwheelzz

By removing the pre-installed apps during reset or refresh the operating system, Microsoft means all the apps that you have manually installed from the Microsoft Store or from third-party sources would be removed and the built-in programs would remain intact.

The same goes with any drivers that you have manually updated. What you can you to secure this is, use any driver backup tool such as Driver Guide Toolkit or Driver Genius.

To be on the safer side, you can also go with refreshing the operating system that only resets the configuration and leaves your personal data untouched.

Cheers!! :)

hotwheelzz

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
let me explain a little better

I upgraded from win 7 to win 10 a few months ago the free upgrade over the web, so it is not the original OS that came installed on my ASUS laptop and do not have a win 10 reinstall disk (not sure if it's needed for a reset or refresh). When I start the reset a menu opens asking if I want to keep my files or wipe everything. After clicking ave files it generates a list of all the apps that will need to be reinstalled after refresh and I'm not sure if they are important
Asmedia ASM104X
ATK package
Intel (R) control center
Intel (R) Management Engine Components
Intel (R) Processor Graphics
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition ENU
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 redistributable 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 tools for office runtime (x64)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)
Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi driver installation
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Sonic Focus
SSH Secure Shell
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Wireless Console 3
can you yell me if losing these apps will cause me problems?

Now I have already done a backup of all my files to a flash drive so I'm wondering which option would be best, a reset or a refresh?

again thank you very much for your help

Michael

Hello again hotwheelzz

If you have already backed up your files, the list of other programs and drivers that Windows displayed may or may not be necessary depending on your use. For example, you would definitely be needing the Wireless Card driver without which you won't be able to access any wireless network.

On the other hand, some programs come along with the installation files of other programs. For example, VC++ Redistributable comes along with Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking.This is just an example. If you have VC++ on your system, it is likely that you have installed any program that has automatically installed VC++ as a part of its installation.

Since you have already backed up your files and drivers, I would suggest you to start with Refreshing the computer (i.e. without removing the files). This method is quick and safe. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can then go for System Reset, i.e. with all files removed, which is a lengthy process, takes considerable amount of time, and eats a lot of disk space.

Yes you can initiate the System Refresh or Reset process from within Windows 10 itself. The step-by-step instructions to do so are given in the first section of this tutorial.

Cheers!!

Yes, not only Wi-Fi driver but all the drivers that are installed. After backing up, save them at a different location, may be on a USB drive or a DVD. This would be helpful in future as well.

After this, perform the System Refresh.

Good Luck!!

bluescorpion

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
i have the same sfc problem. i reinstall windows 10 from dvd and sfc scannow gave me the error again. "cbs log bla bla" is any other way to repair without format my laptop and loose programs and settings?