Silent Gaming PC Build: advice & opinions please

joshtheprune

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
I'm looking to build a gaming rig after years in console wilderness.

Potential budget £700 - 1000, but lower end of that preferred...

Primarily I want to achieve a beefy gaming machine but without it being so noisy it's annoying. To that end I've made a shopping list of components with gestures made towards silence wherever possible.

Shopping list here: http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/515121

All priced on ebuyer for now but aiming to get as much as possible for less on ebay.

Main questions for those in the know:

- are there any obvious issues you can see with this rig? (temperature, power supply, compatibility)
- is it worth bumping the i5 to an i7? (Money vs impact I mean)
- any other silencing measures you can suggest?
- should I watch out for anything in particular buying pc components on ebay?

Really appreciate any help with this, it's been a good few years since I built my last rig!

:)

***update - worth mentioning I plan on a pair of 4gb rams to make 8gb in the finished rig

plp384

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Can you get Newegg or Tigerdirect to ship to you? I highly recommend them as retailers for computer parts. Ebay......just got to watch the sellers feedback in most cases.

1) Solid build. If you are going to be overclocking your CPU at all though you'll want an aftermarket heatsink like the Cryorig H7 to keep it cool.

2) No, for gaming the i7 doesn't provide enough performance increase for the cost

3) Corsair and Noctua both make permium case fans that are VERY quiet, so if you notice your stock case fans are a bit loud take a look at those.

4) I would recommend using an official vendor like Newegg or Amazon myself, as Ebay isn't sometimes a bit hit-or-miss.

joshtheprune

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Nice, newegg ships and is generally cheaper than ebuyer, thanks.Will check out Tigerdirect also.

have seen a few people say stick with i5 over i7 for gaming so I guess if I overclock too i5 is the way to go.

LaurieGreen18

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I'd add a 1TB HDD in there if it was my build, 240GB will fill up reeaaaalll fast.

To save money you could drop the SSD down to 140GB then you'd have enough space for the OS and a few games/applications. And have all the non-essentials on the HDD.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Fairly well balanced build (although I don't know anything about the PSU).

Looks like you're only going 1x4GB RAM though? I think 8GB (2x4GB) would be the recommended minimum these days.