Someone is hacking into my Windows 10 account

GeeseH

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Windows 10 security seems to be non existent, on top of that what makes it worse is it links to my Xbox 360. I can't even use that right now nor will I even consider an Xbox One until the issue is resolved. I share my account with no one. I do believe this is personal and possibly a neighbor but that is irrelevant. I just want to protect myself. They let me know they have access. I have not seen them move my cursor but my wireless mouse is set to auto turn off my track pad. They keep disabling the feature. I've even seen a web page open to a site I never use and it wasn't like a pop up. Matter of fact I have pop ups blocked. For security I have Malware Bytes and Windows Defender but they have been useless. I have done a clean install since the last major incident but they are at it again. I also have Wire Shark and have been checking IP addresses. I think I caught them adjusting the brightness on my laptop once and they changed my password just 3 days ago. I'm willing to wipe my machine again reluctantly but it didn't solve the issue. This is a crime I'd like nothing better than to put this person in jail or punch them in the face. Please help.

Start by changing the security key on your wireless router and make it a strong one with mixed alpha-numeric characters and some £$% symbols randomly thrown in. The biggest threat from Windows 10 is from Micosoft itself but any operating system would be vulnerable if someone can access your network through your own wi-fi setup.

GeeseH

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

For right now I'll try your suggestion of stronger passwords. I've also disabled all cloud services as a precaution. I'll reactivate my Xbox as well and monitor.

When you've made those changes, it might also be safer to change the Computer Name in Control Panel>System. After the required restart, left click the Start square and go to Settings then Privacy. Reverse every default setting in every category then restart the system again.

GeeseH

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

I'm want to give the behavior I ran into today so maybe someone can tell me what this person is doing. First let me say my router only allows two connections at a time. I can also see and hear those connections when they activate. So I had my Xbox and PC connected to the network and the same time to see if one of them disconnects or has any issues. My PC lost internet for some reason but my Xbox still had it. They were both still connected to the network. It's like they found a way to turn off my wifi card without any kind of official notice. My wifi still displayed as on looking at the laptop and Xbox had no internet transfer issues at that time. Seems pretty sophisticated they can gain so much control without a trace. They even disconnected me briefly typing this. I heard a connection come on and I lost signal for a few seconds.

I got to see some of what they did I saw a device that never actually connected disconnect several times from my network. I can only assume this was some kind of testing program to try to connect several times til it gets the password right. So my router was the vulnerable one but what to do against that.