Adding another 2GB Of Different Brand to Existing 3x2.

Akusho

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Hello!
A have a 6GB kit (Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX). I would like to add another 2GB, and since it's almost impossible to find a used single stick, my question is can I add a different brand of memory as long as the timings (CL9) and clock (1600MHz) stay the same, so it will work in dual channel? (2+2/2+2)

Also, I found a Corsair Vengeance stick (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) which seems to be what I'm looking for, but it lists it as 1.5V, while mine works on 1.65V. Will Vengeance work on higher voltage?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to be assured of no memory errors, always install memory in matched pairs for a dual channel memory system. Having said that, try to find a stick of memory with the exact same specs as the three you have in their now. Any variation may result in memory errors down the road. Dual channel systems are very picky when it comes to everything matching; sometimes down to the lot number. But if you match the missing stick as close as possible to the other 3, you should be fine.

If you use the 1.5V RAM, it will run at the same voltage as the rest; 1.65V. That might be too high for dependable use.

Akusho

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

Nobody is selling singles from my current kit unfortunately, and there is no point in buying it in pair. The closest I can come to my memory is KHX1600C9AD3K2/4G, which is still not the same but much cheaper and the datasheet seems identical to mine. So if I buy a pair of these and get rid of one stick of my memory they should work in dual channel together?

Akusho

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

I have no idea. The model number is not the same, and mine says "Supports Intel XMP". That's the only difference on Kingston's datasheets. Is it worth it to risk and buy a single stick? The single one is again of different model number:KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G
Which is, again, identical spec-wise. But considering, as you've said, that dual channel is so sensitive to these things, maybe it's worth it to pay a bit more for the 4GB kit?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

One stick will probably work. Can't guarantee its stability under stress, tho. Adding a 2 stick kit of the above for the other pair of channels will also work, probably with a much better chance of trouble-free success. But replacing the current RAM with a new 8GB kit or 2 x 2GB kits would be the best. Your old set of three sticks will sell easily on ebay. Those are actually made for a triple channel memory system like on the LGA 2011 platform.

Akusho

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

Ebay sometimes is hit or miss for inexperienced sellers. I can shell 80$ for a new 2x4 kit, but what if I won't be able to sell mine? There's a chance of it getting damaged in shipping or any other problem and I'll get screwed. The 2x2 stick kit is only 30$ with shipping
Dunno what's best.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Good catch. I blew that one. I knew the X58 and 1366 were triple channel, but forgot the 2011 was quad channel. Thanks.