These Are Edward Snowden’s Favorite Security Tools (That Anyone Can Use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman1

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Strange to choose signal, it is backed by a US government fund and is purported to have backdoors - I wouldn't use it.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Remember that when using an OS like Tails it is not safe against compromised hardware so you can't just pop it into any machine and assume you're safe. Use only hardware you trust.

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I fully understand that people don't want anyone to be able to see what they are doing. And stuff like this is great for them. You want more privacy - more power to you.

But for me, I really don't care. I don't care that microsoft know that I use a mouse and keyboard and have steam running 24/7. I don't care that google knows I want directions to the train station and how to spell noticably. I don't care that the government knows that I watching youtube and twitch.

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I fully understand that people don't want anyone to be able to see what they are doing. And stuff like this is great for them. You want more privacy - more power to you.

But for me, I really don't care. I don't care that microsoft know that I use a mouse and keyboard and have steam running 24/7. I don't care that google knows I want directions to the train station and how to spell noticably. I don't care that the government knows that I watching youtube and twitch.

I don't care that you don't care.

I am not advocating for anyone to start using these tools just because they read about them. However, your "not a person of interest status" may change at a whim, possibly because of name coincidence or some clerk inputting the wrong number/name in a database. There are quite a few people on the "no fly list" for instance that were added by mistake and had a time trying to clear their names up. Just FYI.

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I posed a question the other day about the app markets and downloading Signal, what if the version uploaded to those app stores was swapped out with a "fixed" version to allow back doors? How would the average person be able to verify the open source version they viewed on the net was the same version they downloaded from Apple or Google?

milk_inc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008

You name everything goverment need about you, if you have steam that mean your credit card as microsoft already have it, they know where you live as which place you frequently go, a lot of information you already give to them access, now imagine someone hack the server of microsoft with all this info include it yourself, who know what the hacker can do with all you info can modify all the things you do or even so, those all info is owned by another person this mean can make steal of identity make crime as like it, because they had access to your info, id card, credit card, what places you visit practically anyone, what you like what you dislike, can use your identity and you lost it. Even is not you, but of course you believe privacy is not important of course it's, remember part of what identify you is your privacy, as not relevant you think the stuff you do, those things make your identity and define as person.

hr_sto

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
It's unfathomable the ridiculous overreaction to the Prism program. Only more incredible to this is the glorification of this clown of a traitor, who actually helped directly terrorists and just about any other criminal organizations that rely on IT for their operations. People that deal with stuff like human/drug/arms/... trafficking.

After Edward, all the aforementioned scumbags will know how to better hide themselves. Victims of this modern hero will be the average citizen who will fall pray to whatever BS the sick minded are cooking right now.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not justifying blindly everything governments do. Nor do i hate whistleblowers. In fact, i think wikileaks is awesome, as it revealed lots of interesting info like reports about foreign political crooks from various embassies, which is or public interest to the citizens of those countries, and so many more...

But... try and rationalize what Edward did.

monstron

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
It's unfathomable the ridiculous overreaction to the Prism program. Only more incredible to this is the glorification of this clown of a traitor, who actually helped directly terrorists and just about any other criminal organizations that rely on IT for their operations. People that deal with stuff like human/drug/arms/... trafficking.

After Edward, all the aforementioned scumbags will know how to better hide themselves. Victims of this modern hero will be the average citizen who will fall pray to whatever BS the sick minded are cooking right now.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not justifying blindly everything governments do. Nor do i hate whistleblowers. In fact, i think wikileaks is awesome, as it revealed lots of interesting info like reports about foreign political crooks from various embassies, which is or public interest to the citizens of those countries, and so many more...

But... try and rationalize what Edward did.

I wanted to respond to you, but then i realised you hate clowns.

Chaotic Entropy

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
This seems like a bit of a catch 22 in the sense that the more you attempt to hide your own behaviour, the more interesting that makes your behaviour to an outside observer. Those desperately seeking to avoid attention are more likely to garner that attention and in a much more negative way.

Also, I don't really need to make sure that the government can't see me looking at random websites and boobs. I would prefer the legislation to change so that they can look at what I'm doing with proper justification rather than make system so that no one can ever look at what I'm doing. Sometimes there are damn good reasons to be able to see what someone is doing and if it can be validated by an independent judge or body then I am totally fine with people being investigated fully.

The problem isn't that you can be investigated, it's that everyone is constantly under unjustified and largely illegal investigation. For me, that is the issue that Snowden highlighted and I appreciate that.

aciaman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
Strange to choose signal, it is backed by a US government fund and is purported to have backdoors - I wouldn't use it.

Yah and I bet you use the Kremlin kaspersky VIRUS software, Like that doesn't have Russian FSB back doors. Snowden is just Russian propaganda tool and deflection from its own aggressive spying, hacking and surveillance SORM. It's the Russia who are aggressively spying , stealing Western civilians personal info, bank accounts and intellectual property.

Status
Not open for further replies.