Need advice on choosing the monitor please.

xtcmax

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
USA

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
I plan to to graphic design and gaming. I do watch movies on PC as well.

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
Right now I have 1600x900 Acer 201HL. I want something bigger and better.

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
I would like to get 144hz.

5. How much are you looking to spend?
I am looking to spend 250 or so.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
I have Acer and I am satisfied, but I never had a good monitor in my life, so I would not know the difference.

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
n/a
8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
I will be buying just 1 monitor and will use my Acer 201hl as a second.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
2 moinitors. I am running Asus 970 GTX Strix edition.

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
The new monitor should go to DVI-I Dual Link.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
The new monitor will be my primary working display.

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
No.

Hello, community.
I need advice on purchasing the monitor. Right now I have Acer S201HL, which is always out of stock and I assume it is pretty old. I am used to it and have no problems gaming or doing my graphics work. But I want something better and this is the time of the season when a lot of discounts are available. I never had a good monitor so I would assume there are a lot of better monitors than what I have right now. ( I remember when I switched to GTX 970 from 660...)
I would want to get IPS monitor bigger than 20". That is what I have right now. Price is around 250, but please give me examples of good monitors even if they're a little more expensive. I am not planning to spend like 500-900 bucks.

Thank you in advance,
Max.

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
You can get a 144hz TN, or a 60hz IPS. If you want a 144hz IPS you'll have to spend much more than 250$.

At this price, you can get a 24" TN 144hz, a 24" IPS 60hz, or a 27" IPS 60hz. (all in 1920x1080). Any preference ?

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

If 23" is not too small for you, i'd say it's a good choice. I can see from pcparpicker http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umvh6aa003 that it's often on sale at 120$ too, which is nice if you can afford waiting a little bit until next time it goes on sale.

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

It's usually specified, on pcpartpicker it is, and on almost every online shop websites as well. However, amazon often either not specify it, or give wrong specs about refresh rate. Most monitor are 60hz though, so generally unless it's clearly stated you can assume it's 60hz.

xtcmax

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Salawow and TechNeeeQ,
thank you very much for helping me. I really appreciated it. The monitor I will be going with will be the Asus's one. Seems like it has everything that I needed.
Thank you once again,
max.