Just built pc and monitor won't turn on

LeonWBA

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Hello everyone, I just built myself a pc for the first time and when I click the power button the pc turns on, lights on, fans spinning, etc. but the monitor won't, it is connected through VGA to my onboard graphics of my CPU I think. I have tried 2 monitors which won't work which leads me to believe it is a problem with my computer itself. I took static precautions when building and my mouse lights turn on when plugged into usb, so power shouldn't be an issue. I am leaving clearing the CMOS until I have checked the hardware and wiring is correct. Thank you!

Solution
I suggest removing the CPU and checking the CPU socket. See if any bent pins (try taking a good resolution picture and posting it here).

LeonWBA

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015

I will check now, where is this situated? By the way my motherboard doesn't have post codes.

There are 3 leds that should go on and then off in succession, when starting the board: CPU, DRAM and VGA. There's also a 4th one (Boot led).
Try starting the board and see what red led goes on but not off (locations: near CPU. near RAM slots. near PCIe slot)..

LeonWBA

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015

Ok now the fans have stopped working and all I have is a green LED by the PCIe slots

LeonWBA

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015

Ok cool

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
From the picture you provided it appears you have the power from the power supply ran to the correct areas, specifically the 24pin motherboard connection, and the 4/8pin CPU power connection made correctly.

From the picture provided, it appears you have the ram in the farthest possible slot, is there any possibility you could relocate this to one of the two slots closest to the CPU?

Are you able manually select the input for your display to VGA to ensure that it can receive the signal from the computer?

Please keep us up to date to help resolve your issue as soon as possible!

Best of luck!

LeonWBA

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015

Hi Brandon, I'm afraid I can't even access or see the BIOS in this situation to change display and the monitor only has a VGA port

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Sorry to be confusing, I wasn't talking about a setting in the BIOS, I was referring to the input selection on your display itself. If the display only has VGA input, I wouldn't expect to see an input selector from this, so you can safely disregard that suggestion.

LeonWBA

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015

Ok no problem, my mistake, it is already set to VGA with PC as the source

LeonWBA

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015

Really??? That's not good...

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
If after inserting your RAM into the slot marked "A2" your computer is still not displaying a signal to your display I would attempt to re-mount the CPU and heatsink/fan.

Remove your CPU cooler (heatsink/fan), open the latch to your CPU, ensure that the CPU is mounted into the socket correctly (it only fits one way), make sure that there are no pins that are bent or un-uniform looking on the motherboard CPU socket, and replace the CPU, close the latch, remount your heatsink/fan (make sure your fan is powered via motherboard connection) and try to boot again.

Make sure you unplug your PSU from the wall before you do this!