Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 after 30 days

sfootie

Reputable
May 31, 2015
I am looking to downgrade to Windows 8.1 (after upgrading to 10) - while browsing my C drive, I found an ESD folder, containing the Windows 8 Setup files (identical to that of the iso file). I have a couple of questions.

a) If I run this, will it delete my personal files? (docs, music etc)
b) If I run this, will it delete my applications? (photoshop, steam games, spotfiy etc)
c) Will I be able to run this (will it mess up any system files?) and will the activation be ok?

If not, I also have a system backup from before I upgraded to 10, so I could just copy over files/programs from after the upgrade.

Which method would be best for me?

Many Thanks.

Solution
To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows it will keep all your files and give you what you had back then no it wont delete your stuff yes it will be ok don't worry. Just don't mess with the internal files use the method stated above :) if the option isn't there reply and tell me.

Just out of curiosity why are you not using windows 10 ?

-regards and good luck

Xtergo

Reputable
May 4, 2015
To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows it will keep all your files and give you what you had back then no it wont delete your stuff yes it will be ok don't worry. Just don't mess with the internal files use the method stated above :) if the option isn't there reply and tell me.

Just out of curiosity why are you not using windows 10 ?

-regards and good luck

Solution

sfootie

Reputable
May 31, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have that option - I might just stay with Windows 10 for the moment, or possibly use my backup from before I upgraded.

I upgraded to W10 on my laptop (seperate computer), and found it was slow and used way too much resources. I downgraded (this time within the month) and since reverting to 8.1 I have found it much faster and realised that I just prefer 8.1 for some reason. Also, although not a major problem, on my main PC, it has messed up the ownership permissions meaning I can no longer delete some files or save to certain locations. When deleting, it gives an error of 'Invalid MS-DOS function'.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

sfootie

Reputable
May 31, 2015

Thanks, the article is very helpful. At the moment, I will probably just use a backup I made before the upgrade or stick with 10.

Thanks for your help.