"No Bootable Devices" Without External USB DVD Drive Plugged In

Dallas Strandell

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hello,

I tried to install ubuntu on my older laptop. Everything seemed to have worked at first as it booted fine the first time. The first time I tried to boot it without my usb DVD drive it says "no bootable devices at boot. So I reinstalled multiple times but found the same issue. I then installed Windows 10 to see if I would get a different result. Nope.

It doesn't render my computer unusable but it's definitely annoying having to bring my usb everywhere.

Of note:
My main drive (C) shows as a external drive in safely remove hardware
The DVD drive can be empty and the computer still boots
Acer Aspire 5810T with 64bit windows 10

Thanks for the help.

P.S. not really sure what forum section to put this in.

Solution
Looking through Acer's product page for your device(select product from list>notebook>Aspire>Aspire 5810T):
1| The system has drivers available for download that supports a maximum of Windows 7
2| Did you perform a BIOS update?
3| Did you go into BIOS and set your device boot priority? Perhaps you have had your USB set as primary boot device while installing ubuntu from a disk.

Are we also talking about Installing Windows via an upgrade from Windows 7 or was this a clean install? Aside from that you will need to install your drivers in compatibility mode after booting into Windows 10.

Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility mode>Select Windows 7 [from drop down menu]

Hope this helps.

Lutfij

Titan
Looking through Acer's product page for your device(select product from list>notebook>Aspire>Aspire 5810T):
1| The system has drivers available for download that supports a maximum of Windows 7
2| Did you perform a BIOS update?
3| Did you go into BIOS and set your device boot priority? Perhaps you have had your USB set as primary boot device while installing ubuntu from a disk.

Are we also talking about Installing Windows via an upgrade from Windows 7 or was this a clean install? Aside from that you will need to install your drivers in compatibility mode after booting into Windows 10.

Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility mode>Select Windows 7 [from drop down menu]

Hope this helps.

Solution