PC freezes after losing internet connection

MaLLiSH525

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hello.

So, here's the problem:

After using Google Chrome for some period of time (sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes several hours), I lose internet connection. After about 10-20 seconds, a yellow triangle with exclamation mark shows up to the connection in the down right corner, to the taskbar.
Then after a few minutes, the PC completely freezes. Right before the freeze my keyboard and mouse just flash and then shut down (apparently all the usb ports stop working...?)
After that I just need to force shutdown the PC.

A thing definitely worth mentioning is that im using an iPhone 5c which is plugged to the PC via usb, to get internet connection.
This setup worked just fine on Windows 7. Never had any problems like this. Only after upgrading to Windows 10.

Is there anything I could do to fix this annoying issue, or doesn't the OS just like my phone? D:

Any help is much appriciated. Thanks.

MaLLiSH525

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

Just a bunch of Xbox App errors, and warnings from sudden shutdowns.
Got the latest Win10 updates, and all the drivers are up to date.

scandisk and memtest86 would be next.

Softing

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

I have the exact same issue. The PC works flawlessly (well) on Win 7, but after upgrading to win 10 I get these freezes. We have a dodgy telephone line that causes the xdsl-modem to drop internet regularly. Everytime the PC realizes internet connection is lost the yellow exclamation mark appears, then within a minute the computer freezes completely. Nothing works, and a hard reset is needed.

I have upgraded to win 10 two times now. First time not with a fresh win 7 installation. But the second time it was. Still same problem. Very annoying.

MaLLiSH525

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I still get it pretty much daily. Definitely the most annoying issue I'm having with Windows 10

MarkJS

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Did you ever find a solution? I have a fairly solid Internet connection but I experience the same problem: internet drops, PC freezes, and must do a hard reboot.

Ayberk

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
I have this problem too. Actually it happened two times before i was trying to write this message. But it is not happening only after using Chrome, sometimes it's happening just after a few minutes open the pc.
A week ago, Windows updated. After that this problem started, maybe that caused to this problem. By the way the common thing is all of our computers are Windows 10, so if there isn't a solution, i will install Windows 8 (my computer is Lenovo and there is a "recovery" thing this model). If you find a solution please answer, or I will do that and if it's works (or not works) I will comment again. Thanks

lolatmarga

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Hi. I've had a similar situation with my laptop. For months, I suffered with my laptop freezing and I noticed it would always be after losing my internet connection (turns limited and completely loses the connection). I also noticed how this only happens every time I move my laptop around. If it's steady, it completely works fine, no crashes or anything. To cut the story short and not to be technical at all, the thing that connects/recognizes to the internet/wifi inside the laptop was defective. I bought a usb wifi adapter (tenda) and now it completely works fine.

It may be different with other people though, but for my case, the adapter definitely fixed it.

Ayberk

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Ayberk

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
the problem is "chipset problem". the wifi device in the laptop is not working well. you can repaired this chipset problem but this is expensive. but if you buy usb wifi device (lolatmarga also mentioned), wifi and computer works fine. so, easy solution is usb wifi device.

Meryl_

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Im having the exactly the same issue, only I using windows 7 on Desktop.. I reset my computer back to windows 7 after upgrade to win 10 was a nightmare... the reset has been working well, till this week. I use Firefox.
After Googling the issues, I have now changed my power options to power saver... will be interesting to see if it works.

Everything you described ,, the flashing first, then freezing of mouse and screen, the yellow showing lost internet connection, yet my router is not showing same.. The only way is to shut down and restart. Interesting enough, with my last freeze, I was writing an email.. when the computer came back up, it went straight to the previous screen and email intact.... Got me beat

So, here's the problem:

After using Google Chrome for some period of time (sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes several hours), I lose internet connec

A thing definitely worth mentioning is that im using an iPhone 5c which is plugged to the PC via usb, to get internet connection.
This setup worked just fine on Windows 7. Never had any problems like this. Only after upgrading to Windows 10.

Is there anything I could do to fix this annoying issue, or doesn't the OS just like my phone? D:

Any help is much appriciated. Thanks.[/quotemsg]