No audio from windows 10 (have to read for full story) please help!

caboose2253

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
ok, so i haven't been on my desktop for a while. Went and jumped on and noticed when watching a movie i had no sound. according to playback devices my "speakers" are unplugged and i cannot enable it as the default device. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, changed several settings in my Realtek audio manager, everything under the sun and i cannot figure out how i lost my sound and how to get it back! I am using integrated sound card on my asus p8z77-v deluxe on windows 10. the only thing i did was install a evga gtx 550ti graphics card and even then i uninstalled the nvidia audio driver as well. The only thing i have installed is the realtek audio driver and audio manager. i have everything in my playback devices menu disabled except speakers which i cannot enable. both front and back panels don't work right now either...any ideas?!

Thanks

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
You have made a lot of changes and finding the issue, (s), will not be simple. Yeah, find a restore point before you enacted all those changes and use it. W 10 can also be reloaded on top of your current install so you don't lose anything, like your current install and settings. If that doesn't work do a fresh, clean install of 10.
W.P.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hey.

It's a bit odd both rear and front panel to be knocked out and also saying speakers are unplugged kind of makes it hard but don't want to think audio chip has gone yet.

I'll just start by suggesting these two suggestions however.

Have you tried re-inserting the rear audio jack? To see if os re-detects a connection.

In Realtek Audio manager, picture of the rear audio jacks, right click the green jack and check connector re-tasking is set to your main speakers.

Lastly for now, check your Bios, make sure your audio hasn't been disabled there. Maybe a bios bug glitch? Inserting GPU, some motherboards disable onboard video when a GPU is detected and this is highly unlikely i'd imagine but just check onboard audio hasn't been disabled as well. Only reason i could come up with 'if' you haven't been in the bios at all since recently before problem.

caboose2253

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

To be honest I'm wondering if it has to do with installing the gtx 550ti...I had issues with the drivers for it in the beginning...downloaded software for it from evga and got it working right...I'm looking into that as well. I've been reading trying stuff before I posted

caboose2253

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I'm currently uninstalling all nvidia drivers and realtek drivers to see if it helps. I tried to restore from a restore point but the only one I have is from a few minutes ago. I also did unplug and plug back in the speaker connections...on both front and back and it didn't notice a thing

caboose2253

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
ok, checked BIOS and everything is turned on properly...thank god for graphic bios lol. my asus p8z77-v deluxe does have hdmi out on the board so i could use onboard graphics. here are my specs

Asus p8z77-v deluxe
16gb ddr3
evga gtx 770
evga gtx 550ti
too many hard drives to list! but total about 20tb
intel i5 3570k OC to 4.3ghz
850w power supply (forget namebrand)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So in the bios it's set like this is it?

05326576-photo-asus-p8z77-v-pro-thunderbolt-bios-3.jpg

Sorry wrong picture, edited with new. So Hd audio is set to enable?

caboose2253

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Yep. Exactly like that...God this is weird I've been working on computers for 10 years it shouldn't be this hard to figure out. I can't reinstall Windows either I have literally a terabyte of programs installed to reinstall all of that would just be a nightmare

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Actually last suggestion for now, try the grey jack. It should be green but in the past recent with Win10 and did have latest Realtek drivers from their website switch black (rears) for side pairs (grey) I don't think its this for you but its something possible that can be done to be aware of. So try all jacks.

What speakers do you have btw?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

In the post i linked above, the GPU (With audio) knocked out their motherboard sound because it was on auto. Decent motherboards shouldn't do that so was just checking. An sound card shouldn't disable onboard sound either but electronics can be funny.

caboose2253

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I can't tell u the exact model..but I think they are Logitech z301 or something like that. They are 5.1 surround using a green, grey, and orange connector, cost about a hundred bucks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the info you've given.

Come to think of it this could be it, maybe.

Have a read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html

Do that, then uninstall onboard audio. GPU shouldn't be related in anyway, think it's just coincidence.

Reboot, then go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Try again, installing from Realtek link 'High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)' 64Bit driver highlighted in navy blue.

Have you installed drivers from there previously?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Sorry just seen your problem with drivers + evga. When ever installing for an Nvidia card (Or AMD for AMD.com for that matter), always go directly to Nvidia.com. Manufacturers will always be behind with their driver revisions.