Tried to upgrade bricked my pc, trying to get this thing to work.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
So I tried to use the Windows 10 upgrade tool that downloads into Win7 but it could not "access the primary partition" so it could not do the upgrade. I manually used disk part to expand the system reserved partition to 450 mb and then it still wouldn't install.

I then just opened up the partition and rammed the Win 10 boatload we into the damn thing and THEN Win 10 finally started the upgrade process. Now the damn thing is saying it can't continue PLUS I can't get Win 7 to start so I effectively just bricked the f*** out of my PC. So naturally being a stubborn ass I went and made a Win 10 installation USB and tried to edit out the old win 7 boot loader out of the system reserve partition.

Now I can't get any OS to work and I can't even install a clean slate wipe of Win 10 because my drives were all MBR instead of the new standard (yes I know I was retarded for using that with UEFI) so I can't install to my SSD and even my freaking Linux install died on hard drive 7

The hell can I do to fix this?

Solution
Hi

do you have any data to recover first?
if so first

next you need to wipe mbr or first sector or first track of each HDD/SSD to remove all traces of Linux & Windows boot loaders..
[Windows may not install on HDD which has traces of Linux boot loader]

Hirens boot CD contains Western Digital datlifeguard for Windows
take option for XP (PE) then run WD dlg 4Win
look for advanced option to wipe begining of HDD

alternative for wiping clean start of HDD is MBR Wizard V3 is free & command prompt V 4 you buy and get a Wizard interface (bootable iso for CD or USB)
V3 is on Hirens CD

Assuming Win 10 USB built from MS Windows program and down loaded ISO not corrupt and no faulty RAM or bad sectors on HDD then you should have no more...
Hi

do you have any data to recover first?
if so first

next you need to wipe mbr or first sector or first track of each HDD/SSD to remove all traces of Linux & Windows boot loaders..
[Windows may not install on HDD which has traces of Linux boot loader]

Hirens boot CD contains Western Digital datlifeguard for Windows
take option for XP (PE) then run WD dlg 4Win
look for advanced option to wipe begining of HDD

alternative for wiping clean start of HDD is MBR Wizard V3 is free & command prompt V 4 you buy and get a Wizard interface (bootable iso for CD or USB)
V3 is on Hirens CD

Assuming Win 10 USB built from MS Windows program and down loaded ISO not corrupt and no faulty RAM or bad sectors on HDD then you should have no more problems installing Win 7 and or 10
If HDD all under 2TB MBR is still OK

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Thanks for the advice, I managed to get in there and move all my user and program files off to my (intentionally left) empty hard disk. Windows 10 is now live and I'm going through the registry and getting this OS to act as close to 7 as I can lol!

That part you mentioned about MBR wiping worked nicely (via CMD prompt in windows USB loader no less!) and allowed me to install linux on aforementioned empty drive after I killed off it's partition. Then it was just a matter of shuffling files around!