Is Windows10 compatible with old software

Windows10_user

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
Hi, I recall that in Windows 7, there was an XP Mode to allow users to run software that are only compatible with older versions of Windows. In Windows 8, this could not be done. How about Windows 10? I recall reading a posting that Windows 10 is compatible with older version of software. Is this really true? Do those software work on tablet pre-installed with Windows 10?

Cazauxx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Windows 10 is somewhat (mostly) compatible with old software.

Windows 10 is basically Windows 8 with a new and improved start menu
The reason they didn't do Windows 9 was due to the fact that software would mistake it being Windows 98.

99.99% of software is compatible with 10 without needing anything more than compatibility mode changes. For the last 0.01%, you'll usually need to test it yourself.

If it doesn't work and you have a valid Windows XP license for that computer, you can use virtualbox or client hyper-v (Pro versions only) to virtualize XP in something similar to XP mode (which was somewhere between those two, emulating a different processor, a 450MHz PII like virtualbox but with service integration like hyper-v)

Windows10_user

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

I am considering to buy Surface PRO 4 or Surface Book. In that case, what suggestion do you have?

Either should be fine. My SP3 (running Windows 10) has no issues running any of my software including games like Outpost 2 (which is ancient)