Can't boot: UEFI not responsive (keyboard works, but can't change boot order)

Peott

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
I upgraded from 7 to 10 about a month ago, and everything went ok until about a week ago. W10 did some updates, then the PC simply wouldn't boot one morning after shutting down completely normally.

The UEFI was unresponsive. The keyboard works (ctrl + alt + delete successfully restarts the boot process, for all good it does), but I cannot access any of the UEFI menus.
Then through some miracle the PC went into Memtest (not a clue how that happened), and the UEFI became responsive: the boot drive had changed away from my SSD, and since UEFI didn't work I hadn't been able to change it. I did so et voila, solved.

Similar issue today. Updated some C++ libraries to finally get Origin to work, did a restart, and stuck at UEFI. It won't go further. Keyboard once again gives me the ability to reboot, but doesn't get into any of the menus. This time I've been at it for one hour, to no avail: tried reboots, cold boots, CMOS resets, put keyboard in different USB slots, put W7 CD in CD player, but of course since I can't change boot priority, nothing has happened...

The ONLY thing I've not done yet, since it requires me to physically move things around, is to unplug all my HDD but the SSD, and boot without any other storage devices. But that won't guarantee the PC will boot later...

Any ideas? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: by Satan's beard it ended up working! I did NOTHING specific, but the bios ended up working for no reason and I booted in. What. The. Heavens...

Lutfij

Titan
Sounds like your BIOS is going through corruption, perhaps going through a BIOS update for your motherboard+changing out the CMOS battery without resetting the CMOS? All the while having all the necessary drivers for your system that support Windows 10.