Looking for a 4K TV to use as a PC monitor.

GregT1000

Reputable
Nov 9, 2015

Is 36ms input lag noticeable or even considered bad? I can't seem to find a decent 40 4k monitor around.

Yeah, I have a 980ti. I wanted to go red but 1.4a HDMI put me right off the fury x. With a lot of future games being developed through AMD I thought they would have upped their game but unfortunately they did not, then again they might dominate in DX12.

Hello,

36 ms is hardly noticeable, if at all. I have a TV that's over 100 ms, and I can game on it just fine, I can definitely notice the difference between my monitor and TV, but it's not a massive difference. When I play Xbox One for instance on my old TV, I can literally in real time move the sticks, they come back to their original position, then I move on screen. I'm still doing well online, and that's called muscle memory. I would definitely go with 36 ms. Framerates is going to play a bigger part than the delay, because 100 ms is still way faster than we blink on average, so it's important to put this into perspective.

aldridger94

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

I'm using a EVGA GTX970 with 2 24 inch HD monitors @ 1080 and 2 50 inch 4k TV's at 60Hz.(VISIO P502ui-B1E) It took a while to get them running at 60Hz. One 50 inch monitor is connected HDMI to HDMI port on TV rated at 4K@60Hz. The other monitor is using a DVI to HDMI cable @4K 60Hz. The 2 24 inch are connected to display port with HDMI adaptor. These TVs cost between $550.00 to $750.00. There are web sites that will tell you how to calibrate these monitors for excellant color.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

36ms is horrible and honestly the ppi on a 49" would be around 89.91 but in my honest opinion if your going to game on 4k i would recommend a 27" to 32" monitor which

27" ppi is 163
32" ppi would be around 137

And the response time is much lower

Just my way of thnking..Im a big fan of pixel density and sharpness suppose to bigger size monitors with lower ppi i mean sure its a clear picture but not as clear imo and some will say u cant really tell a difference..Trust its there..Even i can tell a difference from a note 4 to a note 5 and the ppi change is not alot but the note 5 looks cleaner

Resolution and PPI isn't everything. There are a lot of things to factor in when it comes to perceived sharpness. A TN is going to look sharp to people used to TN, if they move up in quality. IPS is going to look a lot better in comparison. VA makes both IPS and TN look completely washed out. OLED makes all 3 look washed out. A 1080 OLED is going to look sharper at 55" or so, than a 24" IPS screen, or even VA, every single time, regardless of viewing distance, as long as you're not seeing moire or sde.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

It has alot to do with it..

For the same reason i wouldnt put any pc gaming on a 40" and rather game at 23" 24" 1080p = PPI
For the same reason i wouldnt put any pc gaming on a 49" and rather game at 27" 28" 4k = PPI

And yes even sitting back further with the screen being bigger i can still tell a difference..This is why theres sweet spots and balance because increasing the TV size without increasing the ppi and or resolution u lose detail due to less pixels in the square inch with the image looking blown up on the bigger size tv due to LOWER PPI at the same resolution bro

Just a little experience i had..I use to game on a 1080p 32" tv before i got my 23" 1080p monitor and lets just say never
again

So when u say resolution and PPI isnt everything it is..Look it up and you will see for your self...IPS/VA/PLS is like icing on the cake when you have the right balance with both it makes IPS/PLS look that much better...

That is not true. A higher PPI makes it harder to see fine detail, not easier. Aliasing is one thing, or staircasing if you will. But detail is a whole different matter. As long as you don't see moire, and no sde, you're not losing detail whatsoever. On a smaller screen, you don't lose detail either, just makes it impossible to see.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I mean im not trying to give you a hard time Suzuki just ive studied this stuff i dont have a monitor icon by the name for nothing and to some people they dont mind losing a little bit a detail for size and thats fine..Just for me i like balance and seeing 4k on a 27" with 163 PPI is amazing...

Just like if i was to go 8k resolution 7680x4320 = 33m pixels

Well thats where i would go to 40" which the ppi would be at 220 which would look nuts but we not even close to there yet...

So again PPI + Resolution + Tv size matters

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
28 inches is the sweet spot

While 4K has no inherit health complications, users may have more trouble adjusting to it with some monitors than others. That’s because 4K, which is shorthand for 3,840 x 2,160 resolution, is used in displays of various sizes. The pixel count always remains the same, but a 28-inch monitor won’t be a dense as a 24-inch screen. Each pixel will be larger, that means less scaling is required to make text readable.

The difference is noticeable. A 24-inch 4K display offers 183 pixels per inch, but a 28-inch 4K monitor has just 157 pixels per inch. This means each pixel on the 28-inch monitor is about 15 percent larger than on the 24-inch screen and, as a result, text and images will naturally appear 15 percent larger as well. That’s like switching from a 12-point to a 16-point font.

A 32-inch display has an even more dramatic effect, increasing size by about 30 percent relative to a 24-inch alternative, but the size causes pixel density to drop below 140 PPI. This reduces clarity, a problem we’ve noted in few 32-inch 4K monitors we’ve reviewed. A 28-inch model is the current sweet spot between size and clarity because it exceeds the maximum discernible pixel density for most users, but can also render text at a readable size without excessive scaling.

Which again ppi + resolution + screen size does matter..As 49" you would be at 89.91 PPI and thus reducing clarity even more and texts/images would be blowed up compared to a lower size tv/monitor at the same resolution

So in my opinion i would rather have a good balance between clarity and size more so then bigger size and reduced clarity and for me i wouldnt go anything past a 32" at most and thats almost pushing it

Just do the re search your self u will see

Both of you have relevant points. However I think one's more about numbers and the other is more about 'reality'. I honestly prefer reality....I might just add some stuff myself, sorry If things get lost or changed in translation.

If you can notice the difference between 4k on a 28" monitor and a 32" monitor you must have some sort of 30x optical zoom in your eye, as I can't even tell a scratch. Currently owning a 28" 4k monitor myself and seeing 32" 4k monitors in stores, both even side by side, You need to have your face on the panel to even make out a pixel is even there. I've also got a Samsung S27B550 (27" 1920x1080) next to my Samsung UHD590 (28" 3840x2160) and the pixel density, is barely noticeable between the two. That is sitting around ~50cm away from the screens as well. Where you are right though is things are much smaller (at 4k that is), but how small do I want things - big enough so I can easily make them out without having to move myself from where I am. However, the size increase of a screen should also determine how much further back you should sit from that screen, therefore how small fonts are in proportion to how far away you sit will be exactly the same size. In other words, a 32" 4k monitor if sitting far enough back in proportion to how close you would sit to a 4k 24" monitor, the font size will be viewed as the same. Of course the bigger the screen size with the same resolution and aspect ratio the larger a text will be if your sitting at the same distance, I don't even think anyone was arguing that point but anyways...I'm lost in writing this myself haha

"I use to game on a 1080p 32" tv before i got my 23" 1080p monitor and lets just say never again"

Lets just also say that a TV isn't really also comparable to a Monitor, especially when you want to go into experiences of gaming on them.

" text and images will naturally appear 15 percent larger as well. That’s like switching from a 12-point to a 16-point font."

12-point scaled by 15% is not jumping to 16-point, more like 14. Just had to provide a mathematical insight -> 12*1.15=13.8.

My rule is I only care about what I can see rather then whats there, doesn't bother me if there is 220 PPI or 130 PPI, If I can't see the difference with my own eye then I'm not bothered. You can compare numbers, but you can't compare what you can't see. Thats as far as I think it should be taken, feel free if you wish to provide more numbers for more resolutions and screen sizes :p

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

For me and i know im not alone as said before i want the balance between resolution + ppi + size...which is why i went with a 27" 4k..I could of went with a 40" easy BUT i know from experience the clarity wont be there even tho i wont see the pixels sitting back further still the image wont look as clean....Read around i know im not talking out the side of my head on this and for this reason i know for sure im not alone in this thought process