Installed another OS for dual boot but there are now 2 windows boot managers

nimonster

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
I installed another OS while unplugging my other hard drive (I have 2 drives, for dual boot) because it would give me an error, however, it looks like it made a whole new windows boot manager so when I start my PC it shows 2 windows boot loaders and they load 1 OS each

When I go into msconfig on both of them, I can only see the current OS not 2 OSes.

How do I fix it so that there is one boot manager with 2 entries not 2 boot managers with 1 entry? I use uefi

nimonster

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

I just had to disconnect all the drives but the one I am installing windows on because the setup would give me an error otherwise. I have 3 drives - 2 for dual boot and 1 just for file storage. I had windows already on one of my drives but I had to reformat windows on my other dual boot drive and reinstall windows which is what I just did, but instead of adding an entry in the boot manager, it created a new boot manager

nimonster

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

But that's the only way I could have installed it successfully. I get error 0xC0000005 if it is connected for some reason. Is there a way I can combine them without reinstalling?

USAFRet

Titan

Which OS's?

So this one drive that is connected has another windows on it ?

Or, you want this Windows install to work with boot manager so you can select which OS from boot up ?

I find it simple to just not use boot manager. On my box I had the OS on:

SSD 1 and 2 (RAID 0)
SSHD

Then I broke the array and put Windows on SSD2.... a week or so later I wiped Windows off the SSHD, so now SSD1 has the OS and SSD2 the "emergency only" OS. But in the interim, just selected which OS via boot menu in BIOS. SSHD1 has all data / SSHD2 has all games and both are accessible from any of the 3 boots.