Will My R9 280X Be Able To Handle A Samsung S34E790C 34 inch ?? Does it have enough "muscle"??

Ice Bucket

Reputable
Nov 9, 2015
Hi guys;

I will soon be getting a new Samsung monitor namely the S34E790C 34 inch curved model. And i'm wondering if my present graphics card has enough power to handle this new monitor wich boasts the following numbers:

3440X1440
4ms (GTG)
4K - 60 HZ
Mega Dynamic Contrast Ratio 3000 : 1
16.7 display colors

My 280x graphics card will be connected via the Display Port.

I'm not much of a gamer but i'm looking to get a monitor with a stunning look to it.

- Should i use this card alone by itself or get a new 280X (wich are cheaper now)
and Crossfire it to get a better look?

- Would two 280X cards working together even help??

My current setup:
CPU - Intel Core i5 4690K
RAM - 12.0 Go Single-Channel DDR3
Mobo - ASUS Z97-A-USB31
GPU - 3072 MB ATI AMD Radeon (Sapphire R9 280 X )

PS: i know programming but i'm at a loss when it comes to the visual hardware

Solution
Nope, crossfire is really only useful for gaming applications. Every day usage (assuming you mean browsing web, watching media, and maybe compressing/unpacking some files) will be more than fine with your current setup.

Everyday use actually utilizes your processor much more than your GPU. Your GPU is capable of trillions of floating point calculations but is not going to see much use unless you do alot of parallel processing. As in AutoCAD and other profesional based simulation applications.

To simply drive the S34, you just need to make sure your card is capable of outputting your desired resolution, which the 280X can.

So, no, you will not see any tangible improvement in the performance of everyday applications as most do not...

spagalicious

Distinguished
If you don't do much gaming then your 280X is more than capable. I owned the S34 for awhile also, it is an awesome display. Perfect for productivity use. The joystick on the back of the display used to navigate the OSD is very cool too, much better than traditional 5-wide OSD buttons.

Ice Bucket

Reputable
Nov 9, 2015

Thanks for the answer!

But what is gnawing at me is knowing if adding a second 280x could help me in using a higher resolutiuon for everyday use or not. I've asked this question to a couple of my friends who work in computers and all they had to say was "Now that a good question..." and couldnt answer.

Like i said: i know two 280x in Crossfire mode would be better for gaming but i'm still trying to see if this would translate as a better viewing experience in everyday use.

I'm a freanch speaking Canadian so i know that sometimes my sentences and questions are not as clear as they should be because of the grammatical construction of a sentence wich differs in both languages.

spagalicious

Distinguished
Nope, crossfire is really only useful for gaming applications. Every day usage (assuming you mean browsing web, watching media, and maybe compressing/unpacking some files) will be more than fine with your current setup.

Everyday use actually utilizes your processor much more than your GPU. Your GPU is capable of trillions of floating point calculations but is not going to see much use unless you do alot of parallel processing. As in AutoCAD and other profesional based simulation applications.

To simply drive the S34, you just need to make sure your card is capable of outputting your desired resolution, which the 280X can.

So, no, you will not see any tangible improvement in the performance of everyday applications as most do not utilize the GPU. At that, there are very few applications outside video games that can make use of Crossfire technology.

Hope this helps

Solution

Ice Bucket

Reputable
Nov 9, 2015

Well mucho thanks Spagalicious; that really helped me a lot. ;)

I'll be getting my new monitor in about 3 weeks and until then i can concentrate on how i can make it look great for everyday use. I just want something that'll blow me socks off everytime i turn it on... :)

I'm using an Asus PA246 (1920x1200@60Hz) right now wich is less than a year old and its fine for what i do but i just renewed my rig completely as i do about every 1.5 to 2 years and iknew i just HAD to also upgrade the display in a drastic fashion.

I'll just use this Asus monitor as a secondary display. I'll also probably upgrade to 16 Go instead of 12 Go RAM.

I just need to see what i can do to help my box run better and i'm not sure what exactly i can do about that. (and if youre wondering: i didnt get the i7 CPU because i'm waiting for the next generation CPU from intel that will replace the i7. Meanwhile i know i can overclock this cpu i have)

And i thank you again for helping me and taking the time to answer! :)

CPU -
Specification: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
Socket 1150 LGA - Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM -
12.0 Go Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-25)
Total memory slots 4
Total Physical 12 GB
Available Physical 9.13 GB

Motherboard -
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model - Z97-A-USB31 (SOCKET 1150)
BIOS - American Megatrends Inc.
Version 2401 - Date 27-Apr-15

Graphics -
Monitor -PA246 (1920x1200@60Hz)
ASUS Professional Arts
GPU -Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X Tri-X OC 3GB

Storage -
Disk Device (SATA) -1 TB
931GB Western Digital Black Caviar
WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B SCSI
SSD Device -256 G
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO SCSI Disk Device (SSD)
S.M.A.R.T., NCQ, TRIM
Max. Transfer Mode - SATA III 6.0Gb/s

Power Supply -
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000 Watts
80 Plus Silver, Single 12V Power Rail
Hyper Path Energy Conversion
Modular Cabling- Copper Aluminium Heat Sink
135 mm HDB Silent Fan

Optical Drives -
LG DVD Writer/Player
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 SCSI CdRom Device
Super Multi Internal 24x DVD Rewriter