Batch File Won't Open Programs

jenna5

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Hello folks,

I have a bit of a perplexing issue. I am trying to make a batch file that will run multiple programs at once.

No matter what I do I can't get a batch file to open anything. I have tried a wide variety of programs and command formats. In every instance, the CMD window flashes on screen, and will not stay open even if I end my batch with "Pause".

I even checked Window's file extensions (per another thread on here) to ensure that batch files are properly unassociated.

Batch.png

After trying a wide variety of things, I have stripped my test batch file down to this code:

@echo off

START C:\Windows\NOTEPAD.EXE

pause

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't get this to work. Oh, and yes I have tried running the batch file as administrator.

EDIT:

So I totally figured out my first issue, and I'm an idiot. I had written and saved the text in Word and then changed the file type to .bat. Creating it in Notepad totally fixed that issue.

jenna5

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I totally have it now. As soon as I figured out I should've been using Notepad, I quickly wrote a test batch file that opened Firefox to two different tabs and opened Calculator. I should be good to go. :)

pdqpat

Honorable
Jan 2, 2016
I use a batch program in Windows 7/10 to open several programs at once - saves a lot of time.
Syntax is this:
start /d "D:\NoteTab_Pro_Portable" NotePro.exe
Hope that gets you started.

I'm arrived here looking for a way to play a sound file in Win10. This worked in Win7 (wizmo from grc.com):
C:\WINDOWS\system\wizmo.exe play=D:\Sound\Triangle2.wav