Newegg order packaging, a bit disappointed

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Just received part of my new PC order from the Indianapolis Newegg location. This included a SSD, HD, motherboard, PSU, CPU fan, and a couple extra case fans.

I wasn't planning to begin assembling as I'm still waiting for the other parts to arrive, but was looking over everything to make sure it was all there.

I opened the motherboard box and discovered the anti-static bag had been torn open where it was being pressed down against one of the RAM slot locking mechanisms. This is because the motherboard box was in the bottom of the box with the much much heavier PSU on top of it.

There doesn't appear to be any visual damage to the board, but as mentioned above I won't be assembling and finding out for sure until the other parts arrive.

I'm honestly surprised it would be packaged this way. Although I suppose had the motherboard been on top, another heavy package could have been set on top of this one with the same result.

the top of the box is only the top until the delivery company flips it upside down, drops it, sits on it, spills coffee on it and then places it at your door.

good news is, newegg is pretty good with returns if anything gets damaged along the way.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Odd, my newegg orders are typically way over packaged. Other than case boxes (packaged by someone else), I have never received even remotely damaged boxes from them over 10+ years. You may have accidentally got a cast off part (open box).

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012

Last PC I built was around 3 years ago and I believe all the parts came from Newegg out of New Jersey. They were shipped by some company I'd never heard of before, LaserShip might have been it. Everything was packaged excellently and the shipping boxes looked brand new. They were delivered in a small van.

This time everything was shipped UPS except the case which was FedEx. The shipping boxes looked a bit rough but weren't torn or punctured. The boxes of the items themselves all look brand new. It's pretty obvious it was too much weight on the motherboard that caused the anti-static bag to tear open.

I should have the last parts by Friday. I'm not terribly worried the motherboard is damaged, but can't say for sure until it's all here and assembled and working.

In all the years of going to Newegg I have had 2 bad shippings one was a rosewill case that the front of the case tabs all but one was broken would have cost me more to ship back then to get jb weld and fix and the 2nd bad shipping I had was a box I open had a busted ream of dvds all scattered about the box and scratch up got a refund on that one tho... It depends on whos packing and you and I all know how UPS they don't give a rats ass most the time so yes it happen but you have 30 days to return....

I have found Newegg's packaging to be variable through the years. I mostly get stuff from the NJ warehouse.

Most of the stuff is in a cardboard box, with appropriate plastic bags of air around it to cushion it.

Occasionally, they take the product box, and just slap a label on it and use it as a shipping box. They did this with a scanner I had ordered, and when it arrived, it was snowy outside, and the box got wet. Luckily, the scanner was ok, but it was less than ideal in my mind.

I would get the rest of the parts, and figure out if your MB is ok- or not and RMA it. Take photos of what you received, and let customer service know in case there is an issue down the road.

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Yeah I'm not too concerned. If something goes wrong when I get it assembled, the motherboard will be a prime suspect. At the worst, I send it back and get a replacement.

That sounds a bit like the motherboard box itself wasn't very well designed. I've got several motherboards I purchased over the years and the actual product box is typically heavy/stout cardboard with cardboard cut outs inside for the motherboard to rest in. It takes a fair amount of pressure to bend/flex the product box. Is the motherboard box creased or anything like it got squashed? Most of my newegg packages that I can recall were packaged pretty well.

Hopefully the motherboard is fine and saves you the hassle of an rma.

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012

Almost forgot I posted this.

Yes the top of the motherboard box was pressed down. As I mentioned there was enough pressure/movement on the top of the box that the anti-static bag the motherboard was in tore open around the RAM slot locking tabs. Surprisingly the bag seemed ok where it covered other, higher parts of the board like the I/O ports.

Regardless, been running the new system several days now with no issues. Streams and plays Fallout 4 smooth as can be.

TRENDING THREADS