Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media after installing from USB

Jasyoung314

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
After installing a 32 bit windows 10 from a USB by mistake I decided to upgrade to the 64 bit version. I have 3 hard drives, one of which is an ssd that I am trying to install the OS to. After downloading and setting up the media creation tool and creating a USB I restarted and boot form USB.

I followed the steps and deleted the existing windows 10 partitions on my dad and tried installing straight to the unallocated space. After the installation completed it restarted the installer, which is not what happened when I previously successfully install windows 10. I then changed the boit order to have my ssd first and rebooted, which gave me the Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media error.

Confused I loaded up the installed and there were correctly partitioned installs already on the ssd ( although one partition looked a little small). I tried reinstalling windows 10 with the same result over and over.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, I can't seem to install the OS at all anymore and I hope I haven't bricked my PC...

Solution
You should disconnect any other drives (temporarily) except for the OS drive until everything is installed correctly. With only the OS drive connected you will be able to delete all partitions without accidentally deleting another drive by mistake. Next reinstall Windows if it doesn't boot correctly with only the OS drive connected.

boodaddy

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
You should disconnect any other drives (temporarily) except for the OS drive until everything is installed correctly. With only the OS drive connected you will be able to delete all partitions without accidentally deleting another drive by mistake. Next reinstall Windows if it doesn't boot correctly with only the OS drive connected.

Solution