Useing Windows 10 OEM key to clean install Windows 8.1 Instead?

Anon14

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Hi, Let's say I buy a laptop with Windows 10 OEM pre-installed, is it possible for me to skip installation (as I really don't want Windows 10) and clean install Windows 8.1 OEM instead? (Let's say I got OEM Windows 8.1 from a previous laptop) and, will this other OEM Windows 8.1 key work, even if it's from another laptop ? (I know they are embedded bios keys) Thanks in advance

Solution
You can re-install any version of Windows you want over the W10 that the laptop comes with.

The 8.1 key from your other laptop is OEM, which means the key will be flagged as invalid as soon as you load it on another PC. You could try to contact Windows Support to see if they unflag it for you, but they might not.

Best bet is to buy a new version of Windows (7 or 8) for your new laptop.
You can re-install any version of Windows you want over the W10 that the laptop comes with.

The 8.1 key from your other laptop is OEM, which means the key will be flagged as invalid as soon as you load it on another PC. You could try to contact Windows Support to see if they unflag it for you, but they might not.

Best bet is to buy a new version of Windows (7 or 8) for your new laptop.

Solution

Anon14

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015