Unable to Revert Back to Windows 8.1

Ameen Jarrar

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I installed the Windows 10 update on the twenty-fourth of October this year. The first thing that I saw was a Rundll32 error or something. Next, OneDrive stopped working. A few days later, GTA V stopped working. Now, the Start Menu doesn't work, meaning if I click the Windows logo, it'll prompt me to sign out to "fix" the problem. So, I tried to go back to Windows 8.1 (64-bit flavor) one week after the update-a quarter of the deadline to update. Instead, apparently "the files that were needed to take you back were deleted", even though they're in plain sight according to file explorer-$SysReset, $WINDOWS.~RT, and $Windows.~WS I believe. Is there anyway that I can go back, or do I have to cough up another $90 to go back? Thanks in advance to anyone who helped.

Solution

As I said, it doesn't matter that you found the folder. If the revert option gives you an error your only option is to do a clean install.

Those are Windows10 files.... What you need is the Windows.old folder in the root drive.

If you don't have Windows.old, you will need to reinstall using the instructions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. You will lose all software install data.

Ameen Jarrar

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014

All right, I found it. What do I do now?

Ameen Jarrar

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014

Sorry, I meant that I found the Windows.old folder.

As I said, it doesn't matter that you found the folder. If the revert option gives you an error your only option is to do a clean install.

Solution