After automatic update, WiFi doesn't work. HP Pavilion Dv6 & Broadcom Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

kszabo

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Laptop: HP-Pavilion Dv6-6c40ca
Wireless adapter: Broadcom 802.11n (BCM9413HMGB)

I did the free upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 10 three weeks ago. It was a clean wipe/install and everything worked fine. I had working WiFi for three weeks.

Then I noticed windows updating itself when I powered-off the other night. The next morning my wifi was knocked out. Thew wifi symbol is still there, it just has a red circle with an x in it now. It doesn't show any networks. My other devices can 'see' over a dozen networks and can connect to my home network without issue.

Things tried:
-Uninstall/reinstall driver and restart
-"Roll Back Driver" and restart
-Download and install the latest driver from HP and restart
-Tried this solution to a tangentically related problem (that of people losing their WiFi directly after upgrading to windows 10)

Thoughts:
-the driver is very old (2012). the one from HP was uploaded in 2015 but when I click on the info I see it is issued in 2012 :/
-Attempts to find the driver directly from Broadcom result here but these are all for Linux.. I am sure that Broadcom has windows drivers too, maybe someone knows how to find them?

(not sure how to link directly to image hosted on Google Drive. So this link is to a ss of my wireless adapters driver page in device manager)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-gfEH1rcWmaMHRhSVRZTndENlU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for suggestions. I tried searching this problem on the forums and on google but everything I found is related to people who lost their WiFi after they upgraded :/

kszabo

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

Of course that was it. haha

640px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.