Nvidia, DirectX12 and Windows 10

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
As many of you know (or not), there were some big issues with Nividia, DirectX12 and Windows 10 announced in August. For example Nvidia cards losing 12% performance while running on DX12 while AMD gains 80% performance. Or the fact Nvidia drivers and Windows 10 auto-updates are making the PC's crash etc..

I just heard/read about it today but I already have my GTX 970 and Windows 10 lying here for my new setup.

Question is: are there still any known issues between those 3 I should know about before I start putting together my new PC? Are most issues fixed by now? Can/Should I opt for DirectX11 on Windows 10?

Gallarian

Distinguished
There are currently very, very few games that actually use DX12 right now, with major games only expected to start using it in years to come. By the time DX12 is the new standard, Nvidia and MS will have smoothed out any issues with drivers.

I say dont worry about it; your new 970 and Windows 10 will work perfectly together right now and will most likely continue to do so in the future.

I can hear that axe grinding

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

I actually didnt buy WIndows 10 for DX12... I bought it because as a PC and Networktechnician, I want to learn working with it and heard good stuff about it, aside the auto-update.

I still have Windows 7 on laptops and Windows 8.1 on this current PC.

Wolfshadw

Titan

While I don't have a GTX 970 installed (8800GTS-640) in my Windows 10 system, I can verify that Windows 10 auto installing drivers screws up my system.

I had just installed the latest drivers from NVidia and then ran Windows Update. Windows Update still installed their version of the NVidia driver which nuked my NVidia Control Panel, wiped my dual display settings, and limited my primary display resolution to 1280x1024.

I had to manually uninstall the driver, reboot the system, reinstall the driver I had downloaded from NVidia, reboot again, figure out how to "hide" that NVidia Update, and the disable the Windows Update service so it wouldn't try to install any new updates without my explicit say so.

As far as Windows Updates are concerned, IMO, Microsoft really screwed the pooch!

-Wolf sends

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

So that issue still excists after all those months?

Is there anything you recommend me doing once I put together my new setup with Windows 10?

Cheers

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

What about the current drivers issues though? It seems the auto-update of Windows 10 is bumping against Nvidia drivers; making PC instabile at times.. Any word about that?

Wolfshadw

Titan

Personally, I'd recommend disabling the Windows Update service. When you feel it is time to run it, scan the updates and find out which one you feel may cause issues (NVidia Drivers) and hide them so they won't download/install. There are "how tos" out on the web.

-Wolf sends

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

Thanks for replying, I'll check that out! :)
Hopefully they'll fix those driver issues in the future, though

Maybe a Windows 10.1, lol!
Cheers

USAFRet

Titan

You can turn off Driver Updating in Win 10.

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

Would you suggest turning them off immediatly at first?

USAFRet

Titan

In this order:
1. Update from 7/8.1 to 10
2. Clean install of 10
3. See what happens. A clean install (rather than the Upgrade from previous) can fix a LOT of things.
4. But yes....with Nvidia, I'd probably turn off automatic driver updates.

I dislike automatic driver updates. I'll do it on my own schedule, TYVM. And only after I've checked out any ramifications.
Windows Updates? Sure...bring it on (mostly). Drivers? Not so much.

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

I can start at step 2 immediatly as I'm going to install Windows 10 on a brand new setup.
This PC setup will remain on Windows 8.1 and will be a gift for my mom :p

I sacrifice myself for the greater good!

Thanks for the help, appreciate it! :)
Gonna use a third party software then to update drivers, seems to be a better option in this case..

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

Hmmm, not sure if I'm going to risk my GPU for that. Read about ppl which their GPU's just broke from letting W10 update drivers auto as the drivers go into an infinite loop or something..

Think I'm gonna turn it off and use a third party software for the drivers.. There are 2 great softwares out there, which are perfect for this situation I think

Wolfshadw

Titan

Personally, I don't trust or install anything that does something that I can easily do myself. Just download the drivers and install them directly from NVidia would be my recommendation.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan

Nope.
Do it yourself, only when needed, and only directly from the manufacturer.

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

Or that :p

I've got a GTX970 in my system that upgraded from Win7 to Win10. Windows 10 has never munged the nVidia drivers, however I get frequent alerts (typically when the machine wakes up from sleep) that the nVidia driver crashed and recovered. I'm not playing any demanding games right now, and am thinking of installing a lesser card until I need the power, but I'm not having any update issues.