Can't change screen resolution?

Lgrimmo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Hello I bought a brand new PC and instead of sending it back I'm hoping I can fix it here. My screen resolution is 1240x768 and it is unchangable to 1920x1080. I'm not sure why this is occurring I've re downloaded all the new drivers from Nvidia, I've gone into device manager and checked for updates but they are up to date. The only thing I can see which is not normal is the monitor is set at generic non-pnp, could this be the issue?

Computer specs are:
I5 6600k
GTX 970
16gb RAM

Thanks for the help :)

It's normal for the Monitor to be listed as "Generic PnP Monitor" - - it will remain so until you install the monitor manufacturer's driver (if one exists) from their website. This tells Windows what model it is & what resolutions/refresh rates it supports (this avoids choosing one that could damage the monitor).

Many users never bother installing monitor driver, without it you should still see all the resolutions that the GPU supports, provided the correct driver for the GPU has been installed. Check it in Device Manager.

You can download driver for GTX 970 from the Geforce website: http://www.geforce.co.uk/support

Lgrimmo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

I have downloaded the drivers for the monitor off the benQ website (mine is a GL2460). Another thing i have found out is that if i connect the monitor through a display port, it works fine with all the resolutions, however through HDMI and VGA the only resolution i can choose is 1024x768. I cant use a display port as it was my friends monitor i was testing it out on.

Lgrimmo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

But HDMI does support 1920x1080 which is the resolution i am trying to get to?