VGA Monitors with DVI-D adapters

Hazzerino

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
I am planning to run dual monitors, I currently have integrated Radeon HD 8470D Graphics it has 1xHDMI, 1xDVI-D and 1xD-SUB (VGA) port. I have bought a VGA to DVI-A adapter few months ago and then realised it doesn't fit in the port, today I have bought a VGA to DVI-D adapter (was around 4$) but when I connected 2nd monitor it didn't show on my pc no matter how much I restarted it and switched cables around, I currently have 1 LG 1920x1080 monitor and 1 IBM 1280x1024 monitor, they both have vga cables with them, I've already checked drivers, devices, etc etc, but seem to be a bit lost, by searching ethernet and threads some made me believe there doesn't exist an adapter which converts signal from vga to dvi-d, so is there something I am missing or?
EDIT: VGA female to DVI-D male

Specs:
CPU: AMD A6-6400K with Radeon HD 8470D
Mobo: Asus F2A85M LE
RAM: 4gb kingston 1333MHz
PSU: Logic 12V 2.2 Compatible 480W

P.S. Also been in BIOS nothing came up there, atleast what I searched for

Solution
If your DVI port on your PC looks like the top one in the photo below, it will support analog video (VGA). If it looks like the one below in the photo, it will not. Those 4 little holes above and below the flat slot are the analog signal.
tIipkT4.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your DVI port on your PC looks like the top one in the photo below, it will support analog video (VGA). If it looks like the one below in the photo, it will not. Those 4 little holes above and below the flat slot are the analog signal.
tIipkT4.jpg

Solution

Hazzerino

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Yea, I started googling again and noticed I have passive adapter and that doesn't work, if I want to use DVI-D from a VGA Monitor I should get an active adapter, but thanks for the respond

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Well, I'm actually referring to the DVI port on the PC, not the adapter. Are you using the integrated video or a discrete gfx card?

Hazzerino

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
I currently have integrated radeon HD 8470D video card, getting soon gt 740 GS Gainward 2gb DDR5, and I have DVI-D port on integrated card, well actually motherboard.

To specify exact info: Ports on PC: DVI-D, HDMI, VGA
Ports on 2 monitors: VGA

So basically I was trying to do analouge to digital, and if you don't mind me asking, will it be possible to run 1 monitor on integrated video card and 1 monitor on dedicated without sacrificing performance whilst playing games? For example, I would have open facebook, twitch chat etc etc on integrated video card on 1 monitor and I would play game on the dedicated video card on the other monitor

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That is your problem. DVI-D is strictly digital, no analog available. You can't get VGA (analog) from that port. Nor from the HDMI port. You can only get it from the VGA port unfortunately. If the DVI port would have been DVI-I or DVI-A, then you would have been OK.

Yes, you should be able to use the discrete card for one monitor and the iGPU for the other. There are a few APU's boards that don't allow that. But most do. Most conventional boards disable the iGPU when they see a card in the PCIe x16 slot. But boards designed for APUs and the possibility of using Dual Graphics Mode, allow both to be active at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS