Full HD or Ultra HD Monitor?

the-pianist

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Hello again. 2 more weeks before i buy my new PC and I need some help in deciding what monitor i buy.
First of all let me tell you that the only option for me to get a monitor is to buy one from Mediamarkt (they do installments) and the basic question is: Is it worth giving double the money to get an Ultra HD monitor? The prices vary a bit but i can get a full hd one with around 250 Euros and the Ultra HD goes 530+. (i want a 28 inc monitor).
The second question is: is there any chance that I will be able to actually use the Ultra HD resolution? Or are these two GPUs tooooo bad for Ultra HD?
Also find attached the 2 PCs that I am in between (still havent decided which version to get).
http://picpaste.com/tuuuuuuuuuuubano-AHQ3dOIb.png
http://picpaste.com/i5-tuuuuuuuuuuubano-YlyxQLMO.png

I really need a help on that one

Solution
Yes, it would future proof you, just wanted you to be aware of the potential drawbacks. Some picky gamers are unhappy with the results when playing 1080p on a 4k monitor, you may likely be fine with it. Just google around for some threads and videos on the subject and learn more about what the naysayers are describing. You'll be happy with it *eventually* without a doubt when by you upgrade the gpu, I just think you'd be happier overall going with a 2k and a better gpu now.

the-pianist

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
you mean i will run much lower resolutions while playing games, right? I am aware of that, that i will have to play all or almost most of the games in just HD. but i could watch for example movies full Ultra, right?
and the plan is in 2-3 years to get a new good GPU and combined with the ultra hd i ll already have, i will do well :D

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Some people say running lower resolutions on higher resolution monitor makes the screen look crappy, like the folks in this thread (you can search for many more discussions)-

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158921-playing-1080p-on-a-4k-monitor/

It may not bother you, but the finicky types swear it's a no-no.

the-pianist

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
yes i can understand that when it comes to games for example. But still i believe the result will be like playing on a full HD monitor. I ve seen some videos and images comparing 4k and 1k gaming monitors and its practically the same, maybe a bit more blurry in the 4k case.
however considering that i will buy a 28inc monitor - wont 1k be too little for a 28 incch?- and that gaming is not the only thing I will do with the PC - for example i watch tons of movies- maybe a 4k is a better option. And who knows, if i buy a good GPU in 2-3 years i could even play 4k, right?

the-pianist

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
What i am trying to say is that : buying an Ultra HD monitor know means:
a) playing games at 1k but the result is pretty much the same
b) enjoy the 4k in movies, general use of the PC etc
c) i wont be needing a new monitor for quite many years
d)i can get a much better GPU in 2-3 years so that i take advantage of the 4k monitor in games etc

Please correct me if i am wrong

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Yes, it would future proof you, just wanted you to be aware of the potential drawbacks. Some picky gamers are unhappy with the results when playing 1080p on a 4k monitor, you may likely be fine with it. Just google around for some threads and videos on the subject and learn more about what the naysayers are describing. You'll be happy with it *eventually* without a doubt when by you upgrade the gpu, I just think you'd be happier overall going with a 2k and a better gpu now.

Solution