Xbox One DX12 Vs. PS4 API - Are more people going to buy Xbox One consoles?

Hello,

Since this is related to graphics, and there is no obvious console thread (hidden...) , I decided to place this here.

I was wondering now that DX12 is going to be implemented as a far more optimised option for the Xbox One, than the current PS4.

From my understanding, which is very limited when it comes to graphics mind you, is that the Xbox One future games are going to get a serious graphics quality boost, even when compared to PS4's own API that is by no means bad.

Graphics sure isn't everything, but what about Xbox One Vs. PS4 sales, and how upset are the PS4 gamers going to be, knowing that they could game on a much "faster" system, if the engineers working on the PS4 don't reach the target to match the 'improved' performance on the Xbox One's new combined CPU & GPU optimisation?

Apart from that, I guess the most important question in the end is going to be, are they going to focus more on graphics, rather than framerate? I think the answer is yes, unfortunately.

DX12 certainly going to improve few things but it might not be as massive as what we see on PC going from DX11 to DX12. Because Xbone already have it's own low level API even before DX12 exist. Now despite both console cpu/gpu were made from AMD both console were design differently. If the game was build with xbox hardware in mind it might work better on xbox despite PS4 advantage in raw power. But in general PS4 advantage in raw power is quite evident due to more powerful config being use for the console. There is no changing to this fact. So for majority of the games PS4 will end up with better performance.

Now i think that the one that holding back PS4 performance probably it's very own weak CPU.

Just like MS sony also have their team to work on optimizing their software. But for sure DX12 will not going to boost xbone performance significantly. Because both system actually have their own low level API so when it comes to that both will have no advantage against each other. That's why in the end it depends on raw performance of both console.

But their hardware is one thing. But if the optimisation of a title is better on Xbox One than PS4, despite the PS4 having better hardware, doesn't that mean the Xbox One can get ahead? My main point was always that optimisation for a console is going to benefit more than the same title on a PC, or is this wrong too?

I can't find the article, and if it's reliable or not I don't know, but someone mentioned that the resolution should be able to be increased because of a hardware part, think it was RAM, that wasn't being used to it's limit, unlike the other components. However, when it comes to GPU & CPU, won't this allow for faster communication between the two, allowing games written for DX12 in the future, run better on the Xbox One than the PS4?

The difference right now between the Xbox One and the PS4 is hardly noticeable, other than framerate. Not to mention the PS4 outputs washed out images while the Xbox One doesn't, so it's harder to compare the two when it comes to detail. Thanks for replying to my thread by the way.

With more ram they can increase the resolution but still driving all those extra pixel also needing beefier gpu. Hence why low end gpu with excessive VRAM was seen useless. Because before they can use all the available memory they will running out of grunt first. True console have low level API unlike PC but they just eliminate the bottleneck for performance. When you running out of performance there is nothing you can do about it. So you have to design the game within it's limited performance scope. Over the years optimization will help once dev familiar with the hardware architecture and can get few more trick to where they can save performance but often they still be limited. Here were always see several design choice by game developer. Either to increase graphic quality or increase the frame rates. But at times they still cannot running from performance limitation. Hence for heavy scene the frame rates still tanking well below 30fps.

Xbox and PS4 both have their advantage to certain things. I heard xbone have some kine of special memory that did not exist in PS4. If the game really make use that special hardware performance might be problematic on PS4. But then again that is for in game stability. But if the game were pushing for more heavy use of complex graphic or high resolution the raw power advantage of PS4 will win anyday. Hence in most recent released game on console xbone always sport much lower resolution than PS4 version did.