If i activate a non genuine windows 7 with an activation key,will i get the free upgrade?

davtehhardware

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
So i built a gaming pc,but totally forgot about the OS.Luckily,i found a windows 7 disk lying around,but it's not genuine.If i buy a windows 7 activation key,and activate it on this pirated win 7,will i get the free upgrade?Cause i seriously don't want to reinstall all my games which are 500gb in all,all over again.If not,i'll get an external hard drive,but it would take ages to move them.

1)should work
2) You should reformat anyway

Biggest issue is that most pirated copies of Windows have malware that will carry over to 10 if you don't format it first. Any Steam games will be easy to reinstall, since all you need to do is move the files back into the folder and then click "install", it will just use the existing files rather than redownload it. Origin also does the same, only uplay still acts like it's 1999.

davtehhardware

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
I already did a few malware tests,and everything is working fine.I just don't want to go thru the hassle of getting an external drive and backing games up.Are you sure that it will work?

With pirated things, you can't be sure about anything. The best solution is to make a backup and then just reinstall (but without having to redownload), it won't take you more than 6 hours even with two dozen games.

davtehhardware

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Alright,so i have this external hard drive,and im ready to move my games and programs.But how do install windows 10?Sorry i'm new and i don't know much about software.Do i go to a site and download it,and then when they ask me for my windows 10 key just plop it in?