120hz Using HDMI to DVI Adapter

TheUn4givable

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I have a monitor that has a 144hz refresh rate. This monitor only supports higher resolution over Dual-Link DVI-D, and I do not have a DVI port on my laptop.
My laptop only has an HDMI 1.4b and a VGA port.
The HDMI 1.4b supports up to 120hz.
If I use my HDMI 2.0 cable and get an HDMI to Dual-Link DVI-D adapter will I be able to get 120hz on my monitor?

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Regardless if the adapter is Dual Link or not doesn't matter. HDMI is electronically identical to a Single Link DVI so once you involve an HDMI cable in the connection, a single link is all you get. HDMI cables simply do not have the same amount of conductors as Dual Link DVI. Now, that doesn't mean you won't get a video signal to the monitor with an adapter and an HDMI cable. The question here is how the monitor utilizes the second link. If the monitor's signalling supports HDMI 1.4b over the primary link and uses the second link to go beyond, then you'll get what HDMI 1.4b can support.

Looking at a side-by-side of a Single Link DVI and HDMI connector, they have the same amount of conductors. Also, it's not quite true that you can't carry audio if any adapter is involved. While it's true that around the Radeon 3000 and Geforce 9000 days special adapters from the manufacture were needed to multiplex SPDIF audio and DVI video together, no longer was the case once video card manufacturers included an audio codec into their designs. I have a very old DVI to HDMI cable running from my PC to my audio receiver. Works just dandy. There is no specific 'Audio' pin with HDMI, all just one data stream.

TheUn4givable

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I am aware that I would not get audio and that doesnt matter as my monitor does not have speakers anyway.
I know for a fact that HDMI 1.4b can do 120hz and I know that dual-link DVI-D can do 144hz, so would an adapter or a HDMI to dual-link DVI-D cable get me 120hz?

Hello... a Good Made adaptors will be a PIN to PIN conversion and will be easy to try out and your best option to try.... I have got them on Ebay for $3 and to my mailbox 2 days later.
I have had quality/performance problems with different brands of HDMI cables... but I run longer lengths of them at times.