Unable to Initialize Disk

SinisterMatti

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
I purchased a used MSI laptop last night and decided to do a clean windows installation. The laptop has a 250gb SSD (where I installed the OS) and a 500gb HDD, both internal. Before reinstalling windows 7 64 bit both storage drives were functioning perfectly. After the install the 500gb drive doesn't show up in My Computer.

When I go to disk management the disk shows up as "Disk 1" status "Unknown" and "Not Initialized." The partitions that are functioning correctly are my SSD Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) and Data Healthy(System, Active, Primary Partition). I right click on Disk 1 and go to initialize disk and I'm prompted to use either MBR or GPT. No matter which option I choose, I get the error "The system cannot find the file specified."

I've verified the HDD is showing up in Device Manager and I've searched for new drivers with windows saying the driver is up to date. Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I've been googling it for the last hour and haven't found anyone with the exact same problem.

Update: Here are some screen shots of my issue. http://imgur.com/a/tZPs5

Update 2: I just used partition wizard to delete the old partition and create a new one, but I'm still having the same issue. Partition Wizard doesn't give an error. It does create the partition. After deleting the old partition, formatting, and creating the new partition It still shows uninitialized in disk management. So there is a partition, and windows is still saying uninitialized. I just pulled the hdd out of the laptop and installed it in my desktop and everything works perfectly in my desktop. Unfortunately I can't try a different sata port on the laptop as I only have the one free. I'll try running seatools, but since the drive works on my desktop, it stands to reason that it's not a hdd issue. It would be an amazing coincidence if the sata connector on the laptop just happened to go back while reinstalling an OS, so I'm leaning toward some kind of software issue. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Update 3: I downloaded and ran SeaTools and it doesn't detect the drive so I'm unable to scan it.

Update 4: I just booted the laptop into PuppyLinux and I am able to mount the HDD, so it has to be a windows software issue rather than a hardware issue.. I just checked, and the laptop runs Bios, not UEFI.

SinisterMatti

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
Issue resolved. Just in case anyone down the line has this issue, I resolved it by booting into Partition Wizard, deleted all partitions, formatted, and then chose the "initialized as GPT" option while the disk itself (not the partition) was selected and that fixed it.