can i use my laptop as a 2nd moniter

Sameer25

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
hi
i have a single moniter setup. when i am playing games i want to monitor everything on a second screen, but i dont have one. i wanted to know if i could use one of my two laptops as a second screen through hdmi. one has windows 8.1 and the other has windows 10
p.s my computer has windows 10 and a r9 285

Solution
Hello... You can only plug HDMI outputs to inputs... and outputs to inputs.
You could network the Comps together thou ( wifi/cable) and send screens shots and clone Displays between them.
This used to be easy under Windows 7 and an Intel CPU which supported QuickSync. You could use QuickSync on the first laptop to create a new virtual monitor, then have the second laptop display that virtual monitor using something like VNC. Unfortunately creating the virtual monitor doesn't seem to work anymore with Windows 8.

Depending on exactly what it is you're trying to display on the second laptop, there are a variety of tools which might do the trick. Many of them also support using a tablet as your second device. These are suitable for simple displays like web browsing (speed is determined by your network). They will probably be unsatisfactory for video or games.

Spacedesk
Splashtop Extended Display
MaxiVista
Screen Recycler (Mac)

If you just want to be able to control both laptops with the same mouse and keyboard, look for Mouse Without Borders.