Is it possible to create a VM that changes the OS from 64-bit to 32-bit?

aussieiron

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
I have a program which only works on 32-bit systems. All my computers are 64-bit.
Is it possible to install a VM that can change the 64-bit to 32-bit?
How?

You can't change the system from 64bit to 32bit, but just installing a 32bit OS in a VM will work just fine. You'll need a valid license for the OS you want to install, but that's it.

And what program works only on 32bit systems? Other than drivers all 32bit programs should work in 64bit OSes.

Hey,
It's possible by "only works on 32-bit" you actually are referring to a program with a 16-bit executable. Not all 32-bit versions of Windows will run those programs as it's legacy and been dropped AFAIK.

*So you must find which SPECIFIC versions of Windows or whatever are compatible. Then you have two choices:
1) VM, or
2) Dual Boot

Since you legally have to purchase a copy that may be problematic. If not clear the VM is using a different version of the operating system and running that in its own space on top of the base OS which can cause PROBLEMS for some programs.

**I would suggest changing the question to:

I have THIS PROGRAM. What is needed for Windows for it to work?

If compatibility options (run as Windows 7 or the like) doesn7t work, you'll need to describe the software and version, including what OS it was made for.