At a loss for words. Computer randomly shuts down out of nowhere. Rebuilt another... same thing.

kaczman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hi all,

a few days ago, I decided to overclock my PC. It froze a bunch, then gave a ton of random shut downs. I tried replacing the power supply, and the video card. it was good for a day, then fried the motherboard.

So I went out, bought a new case. New motherboard, new processor, new video card, new power supply, new liquid cooling, new monitor and keyboard and mouse. I ran all the cables neatly.

The only thing I reused is the memory, SSD HD, backup 1tb hard drive, and cd rom drive. Installed everything, and have been playing fallout 4 all day.

10 minutes ago, same exact thing. PC shuts down out of nowhere. I check the event log, not a single notice. I am at a COMPLETE loss for words now. I have a moster power surge protector, but I dont know that it has anything to do with it. I did plug the PC right into the wall.

I am a loss for words. Im now down $1500, an I d i feel like it was for nothing now.

What am I missing?

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

sounds to me like they are both isolated, first time was the overclock went wrong, too many volts, damaged the mobo which damaged the ram, now the ram causes problems to the new machine, i would try other ram to eliminate first knowing they were overclocked and in a fried mobo

kaczman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Asus M5A99FX PRO motherboard
AMD FX-9370
Corsair H105I Water Cool
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD
R9 390x Video Card
Corsair ballistix Ram - 8gb x2
1TB WD Hard Drive
DVD+RW Drive
1000w Power Supply

kaczman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Ok, Guess ill try that next.

kaczman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
It happens so randomly. This morning it shut down after 1 minute. But I just had it on for 3 hours and it died in the middle of typing an email. What is odd is that the LEDs on my video card remain lit at all times.

Heres another thing thats weird. When it dies, I cannot power it back up unless I pull the plug out of the wall, or cycle the power supply switch. The power button does nothing. And this is a brand new 1000w high quality power supply. The last computer did this too, with the old power supply.

kaczman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Ok. I guess Ill try that next.