HELP!!! Windows 10 has no dolby digital 5.1 surround sound support?

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi there i have an asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 and an old samsung htx-70 home theater system with 5.1 support. i hooked it up to my PC with an optical audio cable and i cant seem to get 5.1 working. When i go to playback devices then to the output optical and finally supported formats and click on dolby digital it runs a test and everything works but when i play games there is no dolby digital. The rear speakers are the same audio as the front speakers while gaming or watching a surround sound youtube video test. So does windows or my mobo not support dolby digital? If its my mobo could i get a sound card? Thanks for any help!!

Then maybe the games don't support dolby. Not really any media players support dolby or DTS as those have to be licensed and paid for. Only way I've found to get proper surround is enabling passthrough audio on Kodi or MPC-HC so that the signal is passed to the receiver to let it decode it.

Also, I've read that surround only works on firefox for youtube, never tried.

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Well would you know anything i could test to see if my 5.1 is working correctly? Thanks for the quick response

It may be your receiver, which on quick look, is just a surround DVD player with an optical input, doesn't support any true surround via the input and only when it's encoded on a DVD.

You can use the prologic modes on it to simulate surround or deal with it puts out.

Space monkey 12

Reputable
Sep 25, 2015
Do you need a special sound card to enable pass through of 5.1 Dolby digital and DTS via optical cable (USB SOUND CARD) in question I have a old sound blaster card that I use to pass PCM audio to my AVR that supports decoding of DD and DTS the only format I can get to work is PCM

Space monkey 12

Reputable
Sep 25, 2015
Hi geto thanks for a quick answer being reading all day just to clarify my AVR does not have HDMI it uses digital audio in

It's a older Yamaha home cinema receiver
I use Kodi to play .mkvs with Dolby digital audio and some DTS
it sends its audio via a optical cable and the AVR is receiving PCM audio not DTS OR DD

Sorry, thought you were the original poster, didn't know you were a difference user. lol.

In Kodi, did you enable passthrough, and then select your audio out device, and then click what your receiver can decode?

Never worked much with optical, so I'm not too sure on this front. I use a modern Denon receiver with HDMI and it decodes everything.

Space monkey 12

Reputable
Sep 25, 2015
Lol it's ok I thought you had replied to me after I sent a message I realised you didn't,

As for enabling pass through in Kodi Yes I told it that it's DD AND DTS capable I don't get any sound once I enable this

And in Windows Audio setting I told it the same stuff but when I told it to test it says unable to play test file disabling option

And as for your modern denon I am also planing on upgrading to a modern Yamaha AVR with HDMI support but not yet they very pricey