Should I get Windows 10 right off or get windows 8.1 and update later?

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Is the free update still going on? Also if I get the highest version of windows 8.1 will I get that same version on a free update to windows 10? I really want to know because some people are experiencing issues for my graphics card I am getting (Sapphire R9 390) for windows 10

Solution

After your Win 7 is installed, fully updated, and activated....you can Upgrade to Win 10.
Either by waiting for the Upgrade thing to appear in the notification area, or just download the MediaCreation tool. This will allow creation of a USB or DVD install media.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
So what if I were to get windows 7 ultimate? It's what I have on my current system and I love it.. I can't get a pro version of windows 10 at the moment though that's the biggest problem.

USAFRet

Titan

You want to buy Win 7 Ultimate, and then upgrade to Win 10 Pro?
That is a needless expenditure of money.

Win 7 Ultimate is significantly more expensive than Win 7 Pro or Win 10 Pro, for no real benefit.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
My Mother has a copy she has already purchased a while back. I just want to see if I would be able to upgrade to windows 10 pro from windows 7 ultimate. I don't want the standard version on windows 10 though, because I am building my own system and I want a more open OS I guess I don't know the word for it lol.

USAFRet

Titan

Has that license been used elsewhere? If so...no, you can't use it again.

As far as 'more open'...what do you mean, specifically? Win 10 is Win 10. Pro just has a few more features.
And Upgraded from a previous Win 7 or 8.1 is limited in how you might be able to reuse it.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
The windows 7 I have is fine I have the licensing and all that. But, I am building a gaming/workstation computer. I read somewhere, where the security details are different from the home and pro version where the pro is a little bit more open to what you can do with it I guess. Also I will be learning/teaching myself sorta cyber security/hacking stuff(It's what I want to study in college) which I need virtual machines for (Got an i7 6700k) So does the OS have a role in being able to do all those types of things?

USAFRet

Titan

Win 10 Pro has a few more features than Home. It also allows deferring (not stopping) the ongoing updates.

USAFRet

Titan

After your Win 7 is installed, fully updated, and activated....you can Upgrade to Win 10.
Either by waiting for the Upgrade thing to appear in the notification area, or just download the MediaCreation tool. This will allow creation of a USB or DVD install media.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution