Buying dual 980 Ti's to run 4K monitor. Can I upgrade or should I buy a new PC.

Stadius

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Approximate Purchase Date: this week if 980's will be good without a completely new system.
Budget Range: no budget.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, VR, CATIA, Zbrush, 3DS Max.
Are you buying a monitor: waiting on delivery of the Philips BDM4065UC/27 40IN 4K
Parts to Upgrade: Graphics cards and Ram.
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX, CANADACOMPUTERS. NEWEGG, TIGER DIRECT.
Parts Preferences: EVGA 980 Ti. buying 2 in SLI.
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI: Yes

I want to upgrade my graphics cards so I can game on my new 4K monitor. I intend to buy dual 980 Ti's

I would also like to upgrade from 6Gb of ram (Corsair XMS3 Dominator tr3x6g1600C8D) to 32 GB, so any advice will be welcome.
My current motherboard is the ASUS P6x58D
My current processor is an Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core LGA1366.
My current power supply is a Corsair HX 1000WCMPSU-1000HX ATX
My current graphics configuration is dual EVGA GTX 480's

I purchased this system way back in 2010 and paid a shitload with the intention of having the ability to upgrade it at some point in the future. The time is now!

Ideally I would just plug in some new shiny GTX 980 Ti's and a more ram. Will my processor be a major bottle neck? Any advise is welcome.

Hmmm. That x58 system is a bit too old, i'd never run sli 980 tis on an x58 system, unless your running something like a x5650 and 24 gigs of ram.

Consider moving to a z97 build. An i5 should handle SLi 980 TIs.

Stadius

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
OK, thanks,
It sounds like the only thing I can salvage is the case and power supply from my current computer. And drives of course... My case is the Coolmaster HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower.
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/haf-932/

1. Can my case handle new mother boards? Is there anything i should be aware of regarding MB and my case?
2. Will my 1000 PS be enough to carry 2x 980 Ti's
3. processor im looking at is the Intel Core I7-5820K
4. I know very little about motherboards. Can anyone make some recommendation and explanations or reading material.
5. still thinking of at least 32G of ram. can you please recommend or provide reading material.

Thanks, Black Friday and cyber Monday are coming up.... this is when I would like to make my purchase.

Should be able to power if fine

1. It seems pretty dated, I'd look for another case.
2. Should be able to.
3. That is an okay CPU

4. If you go x99, Gigabyte Gaming 5 is solid, Asrocks extreme 6 and above are good and the Asus x99-a is good.
Z97 - Gigabyte or MSI gaming 5
Z170 - Asus z170 -a or gaming 5 by MSI/Gigabyte

5. Seems like you are doing a lot of intensive tasks. I'd try 16gigs and if it isnt enough, just get another kit of the same ram.

Stadius

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Im not worried about a dated case. I really do like this one, and using can save some money. If the components will fit I will reuse it.