XFX R9 270X not displaying. First build. Help this noob out.

ItsMrNumb

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
I've had this build fora couple months now and I have yet to get the Video Card to work. I believe that I installed the driver properly when I built it however when I tried to load the program tonight off of the disk it wouldn't even open. When I initially built this system I realized that I neglected hooking up the PCI-E connector on the card and that is why the fan was not turning. As it is my first build I was unsure, so I admit it was a noob builder mistake. However, I now have the GPU connected to the Mobo by one of the two PCI-E connectors and both fans are spinning so I know that it is getting power too it. I just would like some help trouble shooting this error as obviously since I payed just shy of $200 I would like to use it finally haha. I hook the HDMI up to my monitor and it shows no display found or something along those lines. however when I hook up my VGA to my MoBo I get a display. Is this a noob building error like I'm hoping it is? Or is there more depth to it?

Parts list- (Partial, rest of build can be found on my profile)
CPU- Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard- ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory- G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card- XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card
Case- NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply- XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System- Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)
Monitor- LG 24EC53V​-P

ItsMrNumb

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Sorry guys, it was a noob mistake lmao. I reread this once I posted it and realized that since there is two PCI-E ports that both should probably be used haha. Just plugged in the other one and it now works. The screen is not fit to my monitor but I'm just going to assume that its because I have the HDMI running through an Elgato and I can sort it out later.

ItsMrNumb

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

It actually sorted itself out haha, but thanks. But could you possibly help me with another problem I'm having? For some reason, since the graphics card started working, I can't use the VGA output on my mobo to connect to my monitor so I can connect the HDMI to my Xbox since I need it for the Elgato. I get the same error I was having before just on the VGA now. Is this just another simple fix? Or is it possible that I messed something up?

ItsMrNumb

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Yes, initially the integrated graphics was the only thing that did work, now it is not. I will go through BIOS and enable both if they're not already and let you know if that fixes it. Thanks for all the help.

ItsMrNumb

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

Ok so I've been through my BIOS menu two times now and can not find anything pertaining to the monitor and video output. Where about should I look for this?

All BIOS's are different and unique in their own way...I might give a few locations knowing ASRock's layout (Listing the options may also help to find the options faster - however to note the motherboard may not to start with support enabling both graphics adapters)

Advanced -> North Bridge Configuration

Advanced -> System Agent Configuration -> Graphics Configuration (tends to be Asus with this option)

Advanced -> Chipset Configuration