Started with slow Chrome startup, now Explorer keeps crashing

C_Sophie

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
I have a host of problems that have snowballed on my Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (installed a few months ago).

At first, it was just that Google Chrome wouldn't launch, or would take about 15-20 minutes to launch after clicking on it. Then my cursor started freezing for periods of about 20-30 seconds at a time (did a virus scan at this point, nothing found). Then Internet Explorer stopped launching. Then whenever I right-clicked on a folder in Explorer, it would freeze, and selecting "End Task" would result in a black screen, and the only thing I could do was Ctrl/Alt/Delete and shutdown. At this point, I can basically only use Office on the laptop (still seems to save OK thank goodness). This all happened last night, right before I needed to go to bed, so I didn't have time to do further investigating. I will do later.

In the meantime, I would be HUGELY grateful if anyone has any idea what might be causing this, and if it sounds like a problem that'll require taking the laptop in for repair rather than trying to sort it out from my end. Starting to wonder if I made a huge mistake accepting Window's offer of the 10 upgrade :(