Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel® Core™ i3 540

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 20, 2010 9:44:14 AM

first i want say hello to everyone.
My previous topic was about my pc problems and some users said that i should buy a psu,more ram and good cpu.
So I beg my mom to buy a new pc for whole day and she agreed.
I want to have a good pc on creating clips and gaming.
i chosen the pc with Intel® Core™ i3 540 , 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz , 500GB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA300 and Intel® H55 LGA1156 motherboard. But the problem is that the computer got Intel® HD 1759 MB integrated video card.
I was very concerned about the processor. Will it give me a good boost for games like Blur,MW2,BlackOps,Split second and stuff like that.
Currently on my Athlon x64 +3500 2.21GHz processor im getting 'bout ~55fps on MW2 with 1GB of ram and with eah 5670.
So 2 questions:
Can i add my EAH5670 to the new PC where the card is integrated?
Will the i3 540 will be good at running games on High settings.
(BTW I will add 2 more GB of ram when I buy the PC)

More about : intel core 540

a c 102 à CPUs
December 20, 2010 10:12:27 AM

Yes you can use the 5670 in the new system and the system will be limited more by the 5670 than the processor and should be upgraded before anything else except maybe to 4 gb of RAM.,
December 20, 2010 3:29:05 PM

can the i3 be overclocked?
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
December 20, 2010 3:41:50 PM

The i3 will be pretty good, and should be fast enough for most things to not limit you too much, the 5670 will also provide a big boost over the Intel IGP on that processor. Since its an intel board you will not be able to overclock it in that motherboard's BIOS, you will have to use software overclocking tools which arent nearly as good as BIOS overclocking. If you can get it with a different brand of motherboard it can be overclocked, but intel locks up their BIOS to prevent overclocking to make some more money off higher end CPUs and help keep the system super stable.
December 20, 2010 5:00:30 PM

hunter315 said:
The i3 will be pretty good, and should be fast enough for most things to not limit you too much, the 5670 will also provide a big boost over the Intel IGP on that processor. Since its an intel board you will not be able to overclock it in that motherboard's BIOS, you will have to use software overclocking tools which arent nearly as good as BIOS overclocking. If you can get it with a different brand of motherboard it can be overclocked, but intel locks up their BIOS to prevent overclocking to make some more money off higher end CPUs and help keep the system super stable.

fck intel those bastards! that's why i like AMD more. AMD and Radeon make perfect combination.
Thanks for good answer man!
a c 190 à CPUs
December 20, 2010 8:05:55 PM

If you were running an office PC the lack of overclocking capabilities for improved stability would be a nice thing. Understand that people who overclock represent a very tiny fraction of the market, less than 5%, why should they really care too much about the overclockers? Both Intel and AMD make orders of magnitude more money off office PCs, servers, and workstations, than they make off of the home PC market.

Also, AMD and Radeon do not make a perfect combination, they make no better of a combo than Intel and Radeon or Intel and nVidia, or Intel and Radeon, it really doesnt matter what you pair, so dont fall into that delusion.
December 21, 2010 9:33:04 AM

hunter315 said:
If you were running an office PC the lack of overclocking capabilities for improved stability would be a nice thing. Understand that people who overclock represent a very tiny fraction of the market, less than 5%, why should they really care too much about the overclockers? Both Intel and AMD make orders of magnitude more money off office PCs, servers, and workstations, than they make off of the home PC market.

Also, AMD and Radeon do not make a perfect combination, they make no better of a combo than Intel and Radeon or Intel and nVidia, or Intel and Radeon, it really doesnt matter what you pair, so dont fall into that delusion.

naah ... i'm thinking of creating gameplay videos. Not on super ultra maximum but like on medium of high settings.
Also my friend has Force 3D HD5770 on Intel i3 and it runs perfectly!
I'm not saying that ATI and AMD is teh best of all <3 but they suit perfect with AMD Black and Radeon Red colour which i luv :D 

My friend has AMD with nVidia and it runs normal too.

Now moving to overclocking I don't do that very much but when the game requires 3 GB of ram and if i got 2 GB only or the game requires better processor than my amd athlon x64 3500 2.21GHz so I need to overclock the graphics card in ATIOverdrive to get more FPS and lil less lag.

Also - will the motherboard support CrossfireX and how much PSU then I will need.

And the 6 pin or 8 pin connectors. I know they can be bought in the store , but it should be in motherboard or PSU box?
Some cards also require 2x 6pin and if I will have only one 6pin i will need to buy another one or the graphics card will run OK with only one?
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2010 10:12:07 AM

How about the tri core 720BE. I am not sure what the Sandy Bridge prices would be like but there may be some in the market in the same price range. So you can check that out.
December 21, 2010 11:58:52 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
How about the tri core 720BE. I am not sure what the Sandy Bridge prices would be like but there may be some in the market in the same price range. So you can check that out.

well i don't need a hi-power 1000w psu , 650 would be good enough since i'm not hardcore games :na: 
so if i have 1x6pin connector and the card requires 2x6pin i will need to buy another one ? :|
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2010 12:12:42 PM

^^When did i mention anything about a PSU??? :??: 
January 2, 2011 6:09:49 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
^^When did i mention anything about a PSU??? :??: 

sorry i though that u mentioned 720w :D 
but i don't want to get i5 really fast. Should i first upgrade the ram and the psu cuz i5 will require lil bigger psu ?
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 6:53:57 AM

Naaa... They would need the same PSU that you used with the older chips. The main determining factor for PSU is the GPU and not the CPU. All the new hardware only need clean power that all. That can only be provided by good branded PSU's and not crappy generic PSU's.

Ideally the upgrade cycle should be CPU+RAM+mobo together.
January 3, 2011 7:17:33 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Naaa... They would need the same PSU that you used with the older chips. The main determining factor for PSU is the GPU and not the CPU. All the new hardware only need clean power that all. That can only be provided by good branded PSU's and not crappy generic PSU's.

Ideally the upgrade cycle should be CPU+RAM+mobo together.


Intel core i3 540 series is the final Am I right?
Second goes the Intel core i5.
And does the core i5 is quad core or dou core?
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 7:21:41 AM

i5 is a pure quad core, way more power than the i3's, in whatever apps you talk about.

But seriously, do you need to buy today? If it is not that urgent then wait a week and get the new Sandy Bridge. Current i3/i5/i7 are all dead ends as far as upgrading goes. I am sure there would be something in the $200 range plus you can always jump the ship (change CPU's) when you want to.
January 3, 2011 6:57:03 PM

naah i don't need the i5 so fast.
I need to upgrade my PSU and RAM first cuz my PSU is only 400w.
My card is getting really hot and i don't know why.
So i3 540 can't be overclocked? :?
January 3, 2011 9:17:50 PM

wildiness said:
naah i don't need the i5 so fast.
I need to upgrade my PSU and RAM first cuz my PSU is only 400w.
My card is getting really hot and i don't know why.
So i3 540 can't be overclocked? :?

A good brand-name 400w psu is good enough for your hardware (5670 doesn't draw a lot of power).
i3 540 is probably good enough for most of your needs, but i think that it can be oc'd on a non intel mobo (i have the i3 540 on a MSI H55M-E33 mobo which offers some nice oc options in its BIOS. I am thinking of oc'ing down the road). However, a major oc'ing job (memory/cpu/gpu) will probably require somewhere between 450w to 500w psu (basing on the hardware u mentioned including the gpu).
January 3, 2011 9:25:33 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
i5 is a pure quad core, way more power than the i3's, in whatever apps you talk about.

i5's have dual core and quad core models, so you can't say that i5 = quad core in general.
So if it's a dual core i5 you're talking about, chances are only difference between it and an i3 540 is the 266 mhz turbo boost u may or may not get with the i5 depending on the core's voltage and temps and some other factors.
!