Inaccessible boot device on surface 3 external SSD

codyl1992

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
I have an odd problem that I can't seem to find a definitive solution to. I am trying to boot windows 10 on a surface 3 from an external SSD. What I have done so far is used wintousb directly onto the external drive from my laptop running windows 10. I hooked up the SSD to my surface 3 and booted holding the down volume button and it worked like a charm. Until Microsoft update performed updates. Then I got the "Inaccessible boot device" error. I then tried again. I put the external SSD directly into my MacBook pro and installed windows 10 onto that. I even used CMD prompt to clean the SSD so it was formatted the way the windows 10 installer wanted under EFI. Once I put it back in the external enclosure and booted it in the surface again it worked great. I was able to update it without any issues. It would not let me install the latest windows 10 update, and I found out that I could change the registry to make the updater not see it as a 'portable operating system'. The update installed and it rebooted just fine. But then all of a sudden I tried using it again, and I got the inaccessible boot device error! I tried plugging in the SSD to my MacBook pro and booting it and it also gives the same error.

I'm guessing it has something to do with UEFI, my partitioning of the SSD, or even the drive inside the surface attempting to stop me from booting from the drive. I have tried disabling secure boot in the UEFI settings to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?

rujoesmith

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
I don't know if the surface is the same, but this is the fix I used when I had this problem on my desktop.

restart windows into safe mode (shift+f8 on boot)
restart normally